Who should attend
The Financial Planning Certificate Program is designed for anyone pursuing CFP® certification, including professionals in the fields of investment brokerage, insurance, banking, accounting and the law. In addition, professionals from other industries who want to make a career change and are looking for rigorous instruction in financial planning are encouraged to enroll.
About the course
Retirement Planning and Employee Benefits provides an in depth exploration of two important aspects of financial planning. You’ll learn the various alternatives available in planning for retirement, including qualified and non-qualified retirement plans and social security. You’ll also study the advantages and costs of employee benefit plans, including non-pension benefits.
This 11-week course is the fourth module in the Financial Planning Certificate Program and is offered throughout the year on DePaul's Loop campus and online.
Programs Associated with this Course
- Certificate in Financial Planning
DePaul's Financial Planning Certificate Program offers:
- Exceptional instruction- All modules are taught by professional financial planners with either CFP® certification or other appropriate professional license or designation. Our instructors use CFP Board standards as the framework for the modules and add their own exercises, case studies and handouts. This results in courses that combine sound financial planning theory and practical skill development.
- Convenient location and scheduling- Modules are offered on a quarterly schedule at DePaul's Loop campus located in the heart of downtown Chicago. Classes are offered on weeknights to accommodate working students and online for students who seek maximum flexibility.
- Proven student success- Graduates of our program consistently outperform the national average for first-time test-takers of the CFP® Certification Examination. In addition to preparing for the exam, our program equips you to succeed in today's competitive profession of financial planning.
The Financial Planning Certificate Program is certified by Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc., to provide you with the educational component of CFP® certification. It provides an overview of what might be ultimately tested in the certification examination, but this is an education program, not an exam-prep program.
The topics covered in this course account for approximately 25% of the CFP® Certification Examination.
- Retirement needs analysis
- Social Security- Old Age, Survivor and Disability Insurance (OASDI)
- Types of retirement plans
- Qualified plan rules and options
- Other tax-advantaged retirement plans
- Regulatory considerations
- Plan selection for businesses (key factors affecting selection)
- Investment considerations for retirement plans
- Distribution rules, alternatives and taxation
- Employee benefit plans
- Employee stock options
- Stock plans
- Non-qualified deferred compensation
- Employer/employee insurance arrangements
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.