Certified Private Wealth Advisor (CPWA) Certification
An advanced credential created specifically for wealth managers who work with high-net-worth individuals, focusing on the life cycle of wealth: accumulation, preservation, and distribution. Candidates who earn the certification understand how to develop specific strategies to minimize taxes, monetize and protect assets, maximize growth, and transfer wealth.
High-net-worth individuals have unique needs that can’t be properly addressed by an advisor with a basic financial planning background. The Certified Private Wealth Advisor® (CPWA®) certification program is an advanced credential created specifically for wealth managers working with high-net-worth clients.
Developed by Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®), the CPWA® program focuses on the life cycle of wealth—accumulation, preservation, and distribution. CPWA® certified professionals are able to identify and analyze the unique challenges high-net-worth individuals face and understand how to develop specific strategies to minimize taxes, monetize and protect assets, maximize growth, and transfer wealth.
The program begins with an approximately six-month long pre-study program and concludes with this 5-day long session. Program faculty include both University of Chicago Booth School of Business professors and experienced practitioners—wealth managers, retirement planning specialists, investment managers, tax experts and estate-planning and asset-protection attorneys.
Designed for wealth managers who advise high-net-worth clients, this program is open to those who have submitted an application detailing five years of relevant experience, and have completed the pre-study educational component.
STEPS TO CERTIFICATION
The CPWA® certification program requires that candidates meet all eligibility requirements.
- Step 1: Submit CPWA® Certification Program Application to Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®)
- Step 2: Complete pre-study educational component
- Step 3: Attend entire five-day in-class program
- Step 4: Pass comprehensive examination
- Step 5: Sign Licensing Agreement and adhere to IMCA® Code of Professional Responsibility, Standards of Practice, and Rules and Guidance for use of the marks.
PROGRAM CORE TOPIC LIST
Part I: Human Dynamics
- Section 1: Ethics
- Section 2: Applied Behavioral Finance
- Section 3: Family Dynamics
Part II: Wealth Management Strategies
- Section 4: Tax Strategies and Planning
- Section 5: Portfolio Management
- Section 6: Risk Management and Asset Protection
Part III: Client Specialization
- Section 7: Client Focus—Executives
- Section 8: Client Focus—Closely Held Business Owners
- Section 9: Client Focus—Retirement
Part IV: Legacy Planning
- Section 10: Charitable Group
- Section 11: Estate Planning and Wealth Transfer
Who should attend
Before beginning the CPWA certification process, candidates must demonstrate the following program prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or one of the following designations or licenses: CIMA®, CIMC®, CFA®, CFP®, ChFC®, or CPA® license.
- Undergo and pass a background check
- Five years of experience in financial services or delivering services to high-net-worth clients.