Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Before beginning the CPWA certification process, candidates must demonstrate the following program prerequisites:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or one of the following designations or licenses: CIMA®, CIMC®, CFA®, CFP®, ChFC®, or CPA® license.
- Undergo and pass a background check
- Five years of experience in financial services or delivering services to high-net-worth clients.
About the course
An advanced credential created specifically for wealth managers who work with high-net-worth individuals, focusing on the life cycle of wealth: accumulation, preservation, and distribution. Candidates who earn the certification understand how to develop specific strategies to minimize taxes, monetize and protect assets, maximize growth, and transfer wealth.
High-net-worth individuals have unique needs that can’t be properly addressed by an advisor with a basic financial planning background. The Certified Private Wealth Advisor® (CPWA®) certification program is an advanced credential created specifically for wealth managers working with high-net-worth clients.
Developed by Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®), the CPWA® program focuses on the life cycle of wealth—accumulation, preservation, and distribution. CPWA® certified professionals are able to identify and analyze the unique challenges high-net-worth individuals face and understand how to develop specific strategies to minimize taxes, monetize and protect assets, maximize growth, and transfer wealth.
The program begins with an approximately six-month long pre-study program and concludes with this 5-day long session. Program faculty include both University of Chicago Booth School of Business professors and experienced practitioners—wealth managers, retirement planning specialists, investment managers, tax experts and estate-planning and asset-protection attorneys.
Designed for wealth managers who advise high-net-worth clients, this program is open to those who have submitted an application detailing five years of relevant experience, and have completed the pre-study educational component.
STEPS TO CERTIFICATION
The CPWA® certification program requires that candidates meet all eligibility requirements.
- Step 1: Submit CPWA® Certification Program Application to Investment Management Consultants Association® (IMCA®)
- Step 2: Complete pre-study educational component
- Step 3: Attend entire five-day in-class program
- Step 4: Pass comprehensive examination
- Step 5: Sign Licensing Agreement and adhere to IMCA® Code of Professional Responsibility, Standards of Practice, and Rules and Guidance for use of the marks.
PROGRAM CORE TOPIC LIST
Part I: Human Dynamics
- Section 1: Ethics
- Section 2: Applied Behavioral Finance
- Section 3: Family Dynamics
Part II: Wealth Management Strategies
- Section 4: Tax Strategies and Planning
- Section 5: Portfolio Management
- Section 6: Risk Management and Asset Protection
Part III: Client Specialization
- Section 7: Client Focus—Executives
- Section 8: Client Focus—Closely Held Business Owners
- Section 9: Client Focus—Retirement
Part IV: Legacy Planning
- Section 10: Charitable Group
- Section 11: Estate Planning and Wealth Transfer
John C. Heaton studies asset pricing, portfolio allocation, and time-series econometrics. He first became drawn to this area because he was "intrigued by the idea of understanding economic phenomena both to guide policy and to help people make better decisions." His research in these areas has ea...
Lubos Pastor is Charles P. McQuaid Professor of Finance at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. At Chicago Booth, he also serves as Co-Director of the Fama-Miller Center for Research in Finance, Director of the Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP), and a member of the CRSP...
Merle Erickson studies the effect of taxes on the pricing and structuring of mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; and the use of accounting information in valuation and contracting. He also studies, among other things, various aspects of accounting fraud. He teaches “Taxes and Business Strate...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.