About the course
What does it take to get the best performance out of people today? Personal Relationships! No longer can you just tell people what to do. Instead, you must informally seek and build commitment among your team members to do their best. In this session you’ll discover new, research-based, techniques, which will help you do that. We’ll learn how successful leaders shape their work environments to achieve optimal performance, get others to feel proud of their work, show they value others’ contributions in surprising ways, offer feedback that really helps, cope with the natural frictions that arise when people work together, and create a meaningful workplace where people, and the organization, can prosper.
10% Why this Matters so Much
- The changing workplace
- Informal influence is the secret
20% Choosing the Right People and Building Their Commitment to the Job
- Are you a talent magnet? Leveraging your bench strength
- What research tells us you should look for in people
- What if they were volunteers? How to build commitment
20% Reading People: Knowing What Drives People and How to Leverage That
- Appreciating Others: The Value of Rewards
- What rewards actually work?
- Managerial principles of effective rewards
- Know their fuelers and drainers people: Leaders move furniture
20% Managing the Environment: Shaping the Work Environments to Get the Best from Others
- What counts more? Attitude, ability, or the environment?
- How to get people deeply enmeshed in what they are doing
- Create pride in work: How to do this
- Help people develop their networks to enhance their performance
20% When Trouble Arises: Offing Feedback and Handling the Difficult Conflicts
- New ways of thinking about feedback
- Becoming face sensitive
- Sanely managing conflict by editing and leveling
10% Living the Values
- People want predictability: Creating a personal bill of rights
- How to be fair: The number one concern of employees
- Helping people get better through change
Dr. John Daly (Ph.D., Purdue University, 1977) is the Liddell Centennial Professor of Communication, University Distinguished Teaching Professor, TCB Professor of Management, and an Adjunct Professor of Pharmacy. He has published more than one hundred articles and chapters in scholarly publicatio...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.