Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program is designed for executives and leaders charged with deploying change strategies and/or launching new products or services. The program is especially intended for:
- Vice Presidents, Directors or Managers of Operations
- Engineering, IT/MIS, Development, and R&D.
- High potential managers and junior executives will also benefit from attending this program.
For participants who are already Project Management Professional (PMP) certified, 15 Category B Professional Development Units (15 PDUs) will be earned by completing this program.
About the course
This interactive 2-day program will enable you to create an adaptive project environment and to effectively lead a project organization.
Led by two pioneers in the field of Project Leadership, this program connects the organization’s strategy and direction to the projects that will bring that vision to life.
More than 2/3 of all projects 'fail' by the traditional definitions. Firms able to successfully launch new services and products gain a significant strategic advantage.
This Program will enable you to:
- Effectively lead new initiatives from initiation to delivery
- Establish a supportive and responsible culture that promotes effective project oversight
- Permeate awareness and visibility of projects throughout the organization
- Recognize early signs of missed deliverables, and react to prevent a full blown crisis
- Establish appropriate project controls that help steer projects to success
- Establish accountability through effective project leadership
- Build synergy and promote learning across projects
- Understand the barriers related to project delivery and effectively prioritize organizational resources to overcome those barriers
- Become a more effective project executive or sponsor
- Manage project organizations to meet or exceed expectations
- Implement best practices to overcome project obstacles and manage risk
- Appreciate the uncertainty associated with strategic projects
- Increase project visibility and priority across the organization to overcome that uncertainty
- Increase the success rate of major projects
- Create organizational synergies between project groups and other departments
- Establish an execution culture that permeates the entire organization
- Know when and how to kill projects
- Getting value from the Project Management Office
This 2-day program will integrate dynamic case studies, business situations and facilitator-led discussions.
Core topics include:
- Differentiating Project Leadership from Project Management
- The Paradox of Project Control
- Project metrics and ‘Celebrating the Reds’ on Status Reports
- Getting Value from the Project Management Office (PMO)
- Strategic Portfolio Management
- Creating a Compelling Vision
- Project Visibility and Motivating the Team – creating a project spirit to inspire energy, excitement and commitment to the project
- Project Acceleration
- Risk and Crisis Management
- Leadership Style and Team Culture
- Execution – applying project tools to managing the operating plan
Associate Professor & Distinguished Faculty Fellow of Management Information Systems Associate professor at Smith School of Business, Kathryn had lead the development of the strategy execution, project management, and project leadership curriculums since she arrived in 2003. She is co-auth...
Assistant Professor and Distinguished Faculty Fellow of Operations Strategy Barry Cross is an expert and thought leader in innovation, execution and operations strategy. He joined Smith School of Business after nearly 20 years in the automotive and manufacturing sectors with Magna, Autosystems...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.