Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program is ideal if you are an experienced manager who has recently transitioned or will soon transition into a business leadership/general management position. You want to boost your leadership capabilities and successfully manage organizational change.
PED brings you the opportunity to learn and grow with a highly diverse group of like-minded individuals. Typically participants are working as a function or department manager, or already managing a business, country or region.
About the course
- Get up to speed with the concepts and capabilities you need to successfully transition to general management and business leadership
- Understand how to provide a guiding vision, to pull together various functions, businesses or country teams to create value
- Leverage the strengths of your different team members to create an integrated whole that is focused on winning
- Become a confident, fulfilled general manager and business leader
Your move to general management
Your move to general management brings you new levels of complexity. You must be able to lead multiple functions, even countries or businesses.
The Program for Executive Development brings you the confidence and influence to successfully lead at a personal and business level. There are 2 stages:
- Get the business fundamentals, essential cross-functional skills, and learn how to integrate them into your business
- Focus on you as a leader of change
Just 7 weeks on campus, plus coaching and distance learning support.
Transition to general management and business leadership
When you transition to general management, the level of complexity you face immediately increases. You need to be up to speed with the business fundamentals and to build essential cross-functional capabilities. You also need to know how to integrate the various functions into your business as a whole. Then you must develop personally as a leader with the confidence to lead the changes in your organization.
Your PED journey
Capability building and business integration – Stage 1
- Your journey starts by learning the business foundations to be successful in a general management/ leadership role. You build capabilities in the cross-functional skills and learn how to integrate them into your business.
- 20 days at IMD
- See details: Foundations to Business Leadership
Influence, leadership and organizational change - Stage 2
- Your journey continues with a focus on the personal and business leadership skills you need to influence others and drive positive change in your organization.
- 2 x 2 weeks at IMD with inter-module support
- See details: Transition to Business Leadership
Leif Sjöblom is Professor of Financial Management at IMD. His areas of special interest are: The restructuring of the telecommunications industry Performance measurement and shareholder value creation Micro-entrepreneurship in sub-Saharan Africa Prior to joining IMD, Professor Sjöblom worked in...
Michael D. Watkins is Professor of Leadership and Organizational Change at IMD. He has spent the last two decades working with leaders – both corporate and public -- as they transition to new roles, transform their organizations, and craft their legacies. Dr. Watkins is author of the internation...
Dr Leleux is the Stephan Schmidheiny Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance at IMD in Lausanne (Switzerland), where he was also director of the MBA program (2006-2008) and director of Research and Development (2004-2008). He is currently the co-Director of Foundations for Business Leadership (...
Philip Rosenzweig is professor of strategy and international business. He is Co-director of Transition to Business Leadership, and is also Co-Director of the Dual Executive MBA Program with CKGSB. Professor Rosenzweig's areas of expertise include strategy, firm performance, and complex organiz...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.