Process Safety and Hazard Analysis
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with ICTD International Centre for Training and Development.Full disclaimer.
The risk review techniques most popular for initial PHAs of entire units or of large projects and PHA revalidations are hazard and operability (HAZOP) analysis and what-if/checklist. Both of these techniques facilitate systematic, imaginative searches for process hazards and potential operational difficulties.
The Course focuses on human factors issues and how to analyze for human errors that can occur in step-by-step procedures.
## Course Objectives
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Practice leading and participating in several analysis and to be familiarize with the techniques or the original form of the HAZOP techniques for effective analysis of procedures of startup, shutdown, normal batch operation, emergency operation, etc.
- Perform a process hazard analysis with the critical elements that includes preparation of the PHA, scope, collecting information, selecting team and etc.
- Apply the methods of HAZOP, FMEA, and/or WHAT-IF/checklist analysis to process systems
- Introductions; Course Overview
- PHA requirements and standards
- Anatomy of process incidents; Inherent safety reviews
- Basic concepts of the HAZOP Study methodology
- HAZOP scenario development
- HAZOP Scenario Development (continued)
- Application of HAZOP Study to a continuous process (workshop exercise)
- Determining the adequacy of safeguards; Documenting findings and recommendations
- Preparation for the PHA and first team meeting
- Overview for other techniques; Checklist Analysis
- Application of What-If Analysis to continuous process (with workshop)
- Application of FMEA to continuous process (with workshop)
- Introduction to Fault Tree Analysis; Method selection
- Hazard evaluation of procedure-based operations (with workshop)
- PHA updates and revalidations
- PHA completion and reporting
- Comprehension check and review
- Hazard analysis of security risks
- Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Conditional modifiers; HAZOP/LOPA
- HAZOP/LOPA of example process (workshop exercise)
- Concept of importance measures applied to PHAs (workshop exercise)
- Using a PHA to identify Safety Instrumented Systems and determine Safety Integrity Levels
- Tools for assessing impacts of PHA scenarios
- Evaluating chemical reactivity hazards in PHAs
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
This course is intended for those who have particular interest to new engineers and supervisors.