Problem Solving and Decision Making (Excellence in Leadership Series)
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Texas LBJ School.Full disclaimer.
Solving problems and making decisions have always been two tough functions of management. In this session you will learn how to handle the tough issues effectively by developing your ability to utilize a variety of decision-making styles. You will also learn and have an opportunity to practice a systematic process to help you identify and successfully implement solutions to complex problems you experience in the rapidly changing environment of organizations.
The Excellence in Leadership series is comprised of intensive one-day and two-day skills building courses for managers at all levels. Each course contains a variety of learning experiences and discussions to embrace leadership and management skills.
Who should attend
Managers interested in developing and enhancing leadership skills and knowledge.
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Why is it that some people find it easy to solve tough problems with simple solutions while others find this feat nearly impossible? You’ve no doubt looked at solutions to problems and said, “I should have thought of that.” But you didn’t. The answer is not just creativity, although that certainly helps. Rather, the power to find these creative solutions lies in our ability to search for and find facts that relate to the situation, and put them together in ways that work. As an individual, your facts and knowledge can only go so far. By tapping into the knowledge of others (staff, colleagues, family, or friends), you can expand the range of solutions available to you.
If you are tired of applying dead-end solutions to recurring problems in your company, this workshop should help you reconstruct your efforts and learn new ways to approach problem solving, and develop practical ways to solve some of your most pressing problems and reach win-win decisions.
The programmed is designed to identify problems and to make responsible decisions. The main focus is on the workplace, although the same principles can be used elsewhere. Business teams and leaders are equipped with a range of skills and strategies which will help them to manage and resolve the inevitable challenges which are part of any business process.
- Increase awareness of problem solving steps and problem solving tools
- Distinguish root causes from symptoms to identify the right solution for the right problem
- Thinking outside the box - working towards creative solutions
- Understand the top ten rules of good decision-making
- Develop the confidence to tackle problems efficiently and effectively
- Identifying your own problem solving and decision making style
What is Problem Solving?
- Defining problem solving and decision making
- Types of decisions
- Facts vs. Information
- Decision making traps
Problem Solving Styles
- The four styles
- Working with your style
- Communication skills to interact effectively
- Decision information
- Individual participation and action steps
The Problem Solving Model
- Model overview and study
- Case study: Phase one to three application
- Case study; Dangers of a heavy-handed approach
Six Ways to Approach a Problem
- DeBono’s hats
- Wearing the hat to make calculated decisions
The Problem Solving Toolkit
- Applying problem solving tools
- The fishbone method
- Case study: Profit problem
Thinking Outside the Box
- Creative thinking methods
- Case study: Castaway!
Team Decision Making Case Studies
- Decision 1: Relocating office
- Decision 2: Reproduction backlog
- Decision 3: Improving supervision
- Decision 4: Job enrichment
- Decision 5: Staff expansion
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Who should attend
This course is suitable for staff members, who are required to resolve existing problems, make qualified decisions and to polish interpersonal and team competencies. It is also highly suitable for teams who wish to understand the importance of team problem solving and decision making to manage risk and to build synergy and effectiveness. The skill of problem solving and decision making efficiently and effectively is an essential emotional intelligence ingredient in a society where problems are solved through and with those around us.