Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This programme is for anyone involved in the design, delivery and improvement of services:
- Organisations that wish to create a shared, common language for managing services
- Consultants and managers focused on improving service quality and productivity
- Service designers seeking to design and deploy new services.
About the course
Services, both public and private, are significant parts of economies and good service has financial and reputational benefits for organisations.
However, services are often difficult to get right as they are intangible leading to variation in how they are delivered and received by customers. Service operations management provides a suite of concepts, techniques and tools to evolve how services are designed and delivered.
You will learn about the key concepts in service operations management and how to apply them to services in your organisation. There is an emphasis on application so what you learn can be implemented to create sustained competitive advantage.
- Define what a service is and how they can be strategic to organisations and learn how to classify services in order to better manage them.
- Learn how services are designed, and explore service scapes, service layout, flow, service blueprinting and new service development (NSD).
- Describe the interplay between service demand and capacity through forecasting demand and planning capacity.
- Identify approaches for measuring service quality in order to create the foundations for service improvement.
- Learn about how services can be improved and how to enact service recovery when services fail.
Mark is Head of Group for Operations at WBS. He holds a Doctorate (EngD) and MSc from the University of Warwick. His current research (very!) broadly examines control and coordination in operations and supply chains. Mark's research has been published in Research Policy, the Journal of Supply Ch...
Nicola's research activity is focussed in healthcare, conducting a number of projects in the NHS in the areas of service improvement, Lean, RCA, patient safety, patient involvement, organizational learning, knowledge brokerage and leadership. Nicola has led a number of case studies and evaluation...
Giovanni’s main research interests relate to service integration in professional organisations. He is currently leading a study on big-bang service integration in an English NHS Trust, enabled by a new electronic patient record, safety platform and quality improvement processes. As a CLAHRC Resea...
Rhian, teaches operations and service management on a range of under-graduate, post-graduate and executive courses. She was formerly production manager at Mitaka, a Far East translation and printing company. Subsequently she became a Research Fellow in the Operations Management Group at the Unive...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.