Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with UMass Lowell.Full disclaimer.
In working with colleagues, suppliers, and customers, different business requirements and interests are typical. Building productive, long-term relationships require the ability to address these various requirements and interests through principled negotiation. This program provides the information, techniques and practice to help achieve better agreements with customers, suppliers, colleagues and even difficult negotiators.
- Focus on interests and needs
- Negotiate on the merits of a problem
- Describe the win/win negotiation process and its benefits
- Explain the negotiation process from planning to face-to-face discussion
- Identify key skills, strategies and tactics needed to successfully negotiate
- Recognize the various types of power used in negotiation
- How to work with difficult negotiators
- Gain confidence
- Increase your understanding of and competence in negotiation
- Minimize the risk of losing what is important to you
- Increase the likelihood of reaching agreements that work for both parties
- Use methods and techniques that build long term relationships
- Develop better agreements for you and your organization
Whether dealing with suppliers or clients, trade unions or colleagues, negotiation skills are vital to ensure personal and organisational success.
This programme also looks at how to prepare negotiation strategies, approach complex and team negotiations and options when dealing with difficult situations and interpersonal conflict. You will have the opportunity to discuss your current negotiation challenges and successes and put together action plans for approaching these situations back in the workplace.
By the end of the programme:
- Recognise phases involved in all negotiations
- Recognise key interpersonal skills needed at each phase
- Know how to prepare and plan before each phase
- Know your preferred negotiation style and its strengths and weaknesses
- Understand how blockages and deadlocks happen and what to do
- Know how influencing and persuasion skills contribute to a productive negotiation
- Be better able to handle difficult people and conflict situations
- Work more effectively as part of a negotiating team
- Improve your ability to actively persuade colleagues and other stakeholders
- Be able to negotiate better deals and agreements
- Introductions to negotiations
- What is negotiation?
- Different negotiation approaches
- Stages of negotiations
- Dealing with conflict
- Persuading and Influencing
- Planning for a negotiation
- Key negotiation stages
- Communication skills
- Action Planning
- Common tactics
- Power in negotiations
- Advanced communication skills
- Negotiating in different contexts and cultures
- Recognising sales and closing techniques
- Negotiating as a team
- Putting it all into practice
- Action Planning
Who should attend
Negotiation Skills is for those who want to develop and practice their skills and behaviours as negotiators.