Who should attend
- You are a generalist representing your organization
- You are a functional expert directly involved in negotiations
Recent job titles include: general manager, business development manager, HR manager, entrepreneur, sales manager...
- You lack confidence when stepping into negotiations
- You are unsatisfied with the outcome of your past negotiations
- You are looking for theoretical tactics to strengthen your position at the negotiation table
About the course
Make the impossible possible
A successful negotiator can truly make a difference in every aspect of life. Return to the workplace with the ability to close deals whilst adding value for all parties involved.
The focus of this programme is on optimising your mindset and really changing your beliefs around negotiating. The success rate of your negotiations will increase significantly - not only by virtue of a stronger skills set, but also through a boost in confidence.
Why This Programme?
Added value for you and your company:
- Discover how your mindset and your beliefs about negotiation influence your negotiation strategy, tactices and the outcomes
- Experiment with a variety of negotiation techniques to achieve better results and develop sustainable relations with your counterparties.
- Identify and develop your own negotiation style
- Practice using different negotiation approaches in different situations in a flexible way.
- Apply the newly gained knowledge in a safe learning environment to boost your confidence when going into future negotiations
The programme ‘Negotiating to Create Value’ has 5 modules. These modules consist of:
Module 1: Claiming your share
- What do I want to get out of the negotiation?
- Formulating your best alternative.
Module 2: Unlocking underlying interests
- What are the differences between positions and interests?
- Asking the right questions.
Module 3: Thinking out-of-the-box
- How to create value for both parties?
- The power of emotions.
Module 4: How to shape negotiations strategy
- What are 3D negotiations
- How to handle multi-party negotiations.
Module 5: Your personal negotiation style
- What are my strengths?
- How to tackle your weak spots.
Barney Jordaan is professor of management practice at Vlerick. He holds a doctorate in law from Stellenbosch University, where he was professor of law until 1997 teaching employment, contract and intellectual property law. He thereafter taught negotiation at Stellenbosch University Business Schoo...
Katia Tieleman is Professor in Negotiation and Conflict Management at Vlerick Business School and a leading authority in the field of negotiations. She is affiliated with the Harvard Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School. For her high impact interventions, Katia draws from her sophisticate...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.