Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This program is ideal for those at any stage of their career, including:
- Early or mid-career managers aspiring to expand their executive potential
- Small-business owners/managers who want to grow an enterprise
- Senior business leaders looking to refresh their perspectives with new ideas
- Anyone who has wanted to pursue a formal program of business study but never found the opportunity
About the course
Step up to the next level of success
No matter who you are in the world of business, getting a big-picture view of how business really works can be a pivotal strategy for advancing your career and growing your organization.
Spread over a concise four weeks, this robust program provides a comprehensive look at the fundamentals of business and current organizational practices. It covers all the key components of a formal business school curriculum, enabling you to increase your business acumen and bring fresh insights to your work without having to commit full time to study.
Led by award-winning Sauder faculty, the program will expand your knowledge and applied skills in strategy, financial management, operations, strategic HR and marketing. You’ll also sample emerging areas in innovation, data analytics and project management. Finally, you’ll explore how decisions in one area may impact the others, and how strategic integration between functions can drive organizational success.
The learning journey
Designed to fit your busy schedule, the fast-paced program format features a unique integration of self-paced learning and online class interaction.
The self-paced components include faculty-directed material (readings, videos, case studies and assignments) that provide the information you need to know before joining your peers in the virtual classroom.
The live sessions bring learning to life through online contact with the faculty and your colleagues. Sessions include class discussion, Q&As, peer-group collaboration, networking, etc.—all intended to vitalize the content with that most valuable learning tool of all: human interaction.
Benefits for you
- Get a solid grounding in the key components of business
- Recognize the connections between different functional areas
- Look at the business from multiple angles, to reach more informed decisions
- Deepen your experience through peer networking and collaboration
- Keep pace in today’s increasingly complex business environment
- Drive your career forward while delivering value to your organization on many levels
Benefits for your organization
- Ensure your company has the critical knowledge and skills it needs to succeed
- Build organizational power to spot opportunities and manage challenges
- Become more adept at cascading strategy through every business function
- Promote cooperation and action between various areas of the business
- Develop your company’s talent and succession pipeline
- Environmental scanning and market assessment
- Sources of competitive advantage and barriers to entry
- Building effective value propositions
- Contemporary models of strategic planning
Finance and Accounting
- Key financial/accounting principles and tools
- The effect of transactions on the company’s financial position
- The budgetary cycle and financial controls
- Time value of money: creating support for business decisions
- Core principles of high-performing processes
- The role of operational building blocks (capacity, inventory etc.)
- Integrating operations with other functional areas
- Creating an effective operational strategy
- Fundamental principles
- Utilizing HR to integrate business strategy
- Driving results by managing performance and building high-level partnership skills
- Leading people through change
- Understanding customers (businesses and end consumers)
- Market segmentation, targeting and positioning
- Making product, place, price and promotion decisions
- Digital and social marketing strategy
- The critical importance of creativity in business today
- Examples of successful innovation systems
- The value of experimentation and failure
- How firms can leverage data to deliver on their strategy
- Intro to Machine Learning, AI and Business Analytics
- Developing a data strategy for your organization
- PM basics and commonly used tools
- How projects are managed in different industries
- Why projects succeed and fail, increasing the likelihood of success
This program blends interactive, instructor-led live sessions with engaging self-paced learning opportunities—enabling you to bring fresh insights to your work, while you work.
Scott is a lecturer at the Sauder School of Business. He has been actively involved in professional accounting education for more than 30 years. He was the principal author for the CA School of Business in Western Canada between 2000 and 2010, and has won multiple awards for teaching excellence. ...
Research Interests Supply Chain Management Applied Game theory Inventory Management Selected Recent Publications "Stable Supplier Coalitions in Assembly Systems with Commodity Components". Co-authors: G. Sosic and C. Tong. Forthcoming in Operations Research. "Patient Prioritization in Emerge...
Darren is Senior Associate Dean and the BC Innovation Council Professor of Marketing at the Sauder School of Business. He teaches courses in strategic marketing, entrepreneurship and creativity. His work on product development and consumer behaviour has been presented at conferences international...
Amy has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology from the University of Liverpool and completed a Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management at the University of West London. She was awarded a distinction for her MSc in International Human Resource Management from Kingston University. He...
Yanwen Wang is an Assistant Professor, Marketing and Behavioral Science Division at the University of British Columbia. She received her PhD in marketing from the Goizueta School of Business, Emory University. Her research interests lie at the intersection between marketing and public policy. Sh...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.