Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Ideal for mid- and upper-level leaders, project managers, and human resources professionals from a variety of organizational settings (corporate, not-for-profit, and governmental).
About the course
Organizations are increasingly more reliant on teams to carry out their mission. This course provides an understanding of what is needed to create and develop highly effective teams as well as how to assemble or work with an existing team to maximize effectiveness.
Explore the elements that lead to highly effective teams while learning practical tools and strategies to gain the most from the teams you work with. Learn to access and respond to challenging team behavior while developing teams that reach their highest potential. Attention is given to cross-cultural teams, cross-functional teams and virtual teams.
What You’ll Study
Participants in this course will learn to:
- Create and develop a highly effective team
- Apply strategies and skills to get the best work from a team
- Analyze and respond to the challenging behavior of team members
8 Week Course
Highly Effective Teams
- Understand and define the difference between groups, teams and highly effective teams
- Evaluate and apply models for team effectiveness
- Reflect on the components of high-performance teams
- List organizational supports that aid in team effectiveness
- Summarize contexts which support effective teams
- Determine ideal number of team members
- Describe and outline how to select team members based on attributes and skills
- Assess team member strengths and weaknesses
- Understand the importance of team purpose to team success
- Explain the process for teams to establish purpose and objectives
- Explain the importance of trust to teams
- Apply team building techniques to increase trust
- Use effective team feedback strategies
- Understand the use of reward and recognition for team motivation
- Consider approaches for managing underperforming team members
Constructive Communication and Conflict
- Develop and create effective timed meeting agendas
- Apply facilitation techniques to manage communication in meetings
- Apply a process to support and encourage team collaboration
- Assess team conflict
- Apply intervention strategies to support constructive conflict and manage destructive conflict
- Managing change within the team
Team creativity, problem-solving, and decision-making
- Examine processes for increasing creativity and problem-solving
- Apply creativity and problem-solving processes to teams
- Select and apply the best decision-making process based on team purpose
Cross-cultural and Temporary Teams
- Understand the nature of temporary teams
- List effective uses for temporary teams within your work or desired professional context
- Explore the opportunities cross-cultural teams offer
- Identifying the challenges team diversity (cultural, geographic, functional) create for effective communication
- Outline steps a team leader can take to decrease those challenges
- Define virtual teams
- Consider the role technology plays in team communication
- Learn to manage teams using electronic communication tools
- Apply team building strategies to a virtual environment
- Assess and apply strategies for intervening in challenging team behavior in a virtual environment
Leadership Challenges in a Team Environment
- Examine best practices to meet the challenges of leading and managing multiple teams
- Learn to set priorities in a multi-team environment
- Consider future challenges to team building
- Review key elements in creating and developing a highly effective team
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.