About the course
Build your fundraising skills to build your next building. Learn the five phases of a successful capital campaign that will help you design a visionary goal with a specific timeline, engage your board and involve your community – all while avoiding costly mistakes and maintaining your current funding.
Managing the Capital Campaign is offered in-person in multiple cities or online.
The in-person class is three days in length.
- Day 1: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Day 2: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Day 3: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
The online course is six weeks in length.
Each week you'll have a course module to complete. Each module consists of:
- readings from a PDF study guide
- viewing a pre-recorded narrated presentation
- completing a 10-question quiz where you must score a 7 or higher
- engaging in forum discussions with others
- and submitting assignments.
- Definition of Capital Campaign
- Developing a Donor
- 4-Legged Stool
- Sources of Gifts
- Types of Campaigns
- Campaign Best Practices
- Campaign Assessment
- Link to Strategic Plan
Campaign Planning, Phase I
- Campaign Objectives
- Selling Dollar Goals
Campaign Planning, Phase I, continued
- Case for Support
- Gift Range Charts
Southwest Community Center
- Campaign Objectives
- Campaign Theme
- Campaign Goals
Gift Range Charts Review
Campaign Planning Study
- Consultant Report
- Southwest Community Center Work Session 2
Campaign Planning, Phase II
Campaign Planning, Phase II, continued
- Donor Recognition
- Naming Opportunities
- Campaign Structure
- Campaign Timetable
Building the Nucleus Fund
- Prospect Management
- Ratings Matrix
Lead Gift Solicitation
- Prospect Research
- The Art of Questioning
- Strategic Gifts
Prospect Solicitation Review
- 4 Parts of Solicitation
- Handling Objections
- Solicitation Materials
The Public Phase
- Touch Point Strategies
- Capital Campaign Self-Test
Other Campaign Considerations
- Financial Modeling
- Business Planning
- Post Assessment Process
- Follow Through
Capital Campaign Action Plan
### You’ll learn how to
- Determine your organization’s readiness for capital fundraising
- Plan a capital campaign from preparation to celebration
- Develop and use gift range charts as planning, involvement, and evaluation tools
- Enlist and motivate the right volunteer leadership for your capital campaign
- Conduct prospect research that helps to determine gift capacity
- Integrate capital fundraising in your development program
You’ll also learn
- The role of capital fundraising in your development program
- Current trends in fundraising
- Effective use of a consultant
What you’ll receive
- An easy-to-use, comprehensive study guide for future reference
- “Best practices” advice on capital campaigns
- A checklist for gauging internal readiness for capital fundraising
- Marketing tools to assess campaign feasibility
- Exercises in goal setting
- Tips for involving volunteers
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.