Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
- Insider Threat Program Team Members
- Insider Threat Program Managers
About the course
This three day course builds upon the initial concepts presented in the prerequisite courses Insider Threat Overview: Preventing, Detecting, and Responding to Insider Threats and Building an Insider Threat Program. The course presents a process roadmap that can be followed to build the various parts of a robust Insider Threat Program. It discusses various techniques and methods to develop, implement, and operate program components.
This training is based upon the research of the CERT Insider Threat Center of the Software Engineering Institute. The CERT Insider Threat Center has been researching this problem since 2001 in partnership with the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), the Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Secret Service, other federal agencies, the intelligence community, private industry, academia, and the vendor community. This training course supports organizations implementing and managing insider threat detection and prevention programs based on various government mandates or guidance including: Presidential Executive Order 13587, the National Insider Threat Policy and Minimum Standards, and proposed changes set forth in the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM).
This course is also recommended for anyone pursing the certificates for the Insider Threat Vulnerability Assessor or Insider Threat Program Evaluator, but is not required.
At the completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Identify critical assets and protection schemes
- Coordinate a cross-organizational team to help develop and implement the Insider Threat Program
- Develop a framework for their Insider Threat Program
- Identify methods to gain management support and sponsorship
- Plan the implementation for their Insider Threat Program
- Identify organizational policies and processes that require enhancement to accommodate insider threat components
- Identify data sources and priorities for data collection
- Identify infrastructure changes and enhancements necessary for implementing and supporting an Insider Threat Program
- Outline operational considerations and requirements need to implement the program
- Build policies and processes to help hire the right staff, develop an organizational culture of security
- Improve organizational security awareness training
- Identify training competencies for insider threat team staff
The course covers topics such as:
- Building the Insider Threat Program Framework
- Developing an enterprise-wide approach and interdisciplinary project team
- Building or enhancing policies and processes to include insider threat program considerations
- Identifying critical asset and protection needs
- Identifying risks to assets from insiders and enhancing any risk management program to take into account risks from insiders
- Enhancing organizational training and awareness programs to include insider threat
- Enhancing organizational infrastructures to support the Insider Threat Program by determining what defenses are needed, and where enhancements are necessary
- Building the data collection and analysis function for both technical and behavioral data
- Identifying data sources and priorities
- Building a Roadmap for implementation
- Considerations for operations
- Future improvements to the program
Course methods include lecture, group exercises, and scenario completion.
Participants will receive a course notebook, case studies and a downloadable copy of the course materials.
This 3 day course meets at the following times:
Days 1-3, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.