Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Managers new to leading teams and seasoned managers who seek to freshen team management skills.
About the course
Managing teams effectively is a critical skill in any organization where individuals are expected to work together to achieve strategic goals. This course will provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary to identify conditions that achieve successful team performance; accurately diagnose team issues; manage group dynamics during the different stages of team development; coach team and individual behaviors to improve performance; and understand how to develop emotional intelligence.
How You Will Benefit
- Be prepared to successfully align your team to your organization’s larger business goals, provide guidance to your team on how to make and implement decisions together, and build trusting relationships both within the team and with external stakeholders
- Gain a set of simple yet powerful tools to manage your team to top performance
- Receive an easy-to-use framework for assessing team effectiveness through the use of Human Synergistics International's Group Styles Inventory™
- Learn how to balance requirements in order to manage individuals on the team as well as the needs of the entire team
- Customize a plan to improve your performance as a team leader as well as the performance of your team
Day 1 - Conditions for Team Success
- Distinguish different types of teams and the needs of these teams
- Recognize the key conditions necessary to create a high performing team
- Participate in a team simulation using the Group Styles Inventory™, which is a tool that measures the patterns of behavior team members exhibit as they interact to solve problems and make decisions
- Practice techniques for aligning your team about common goals and addressing members misaligned with the intended goals
Day 2 - Capabilities for Managing a Team Successfully
- Practice techniques that allow your team to process work effectively and efficiently and how to address members who are misaligned the agreed upon work processes
- Practice techniques for building trusting relationships on your team and addressing members whose behavior threatens that trust
- Understand the TPR model of team development and how alignment, process, and relationship techniques vary with each stage of that model
- Participate in a case study requiring application of key program content to solve the issues of a poorly functioning team
- Build a personal development plan to improve your performance as a team manager
- Build a team development plan to improve the performance of your team
FIRST DAY - Includes breakfast, lunch, breaks and dinner
- Check-In and Breakfast 7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
- Course 8:15 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Dinner 4:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
LAST DAY - Includes breakfast, lunch and breaks
- Breakfast 7:30 a.m. - 8:15 a.m.
- Course 8:15 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Dinner 4:30–10 p.m.
Steve King is the Executive Director of the Center for Professional and Executive Development for the Wisconsin School of Business at the University of Wisconsin–Madison. Prior to taking this position, Steve held the positions of Vice President of Global Talent Management for Baxter International...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.