Who should attend
This course is designed for engineers, scientists, and managers who wish to learn effective leadership approaches and skills in highly technical environments. For emerging team leads, we introduce the basic leadership and management approaches and skills required to lead technical teams. For experienced engineers and managers, we relate these to enterprise leadership and provide methods and tools for dealing with complexity and uncertainty in large projects.
About the course
Key competencies of accomplished systems engineers include team leadership, communication skills, problem solving, systems thinking, strong technical acumen, and mastery of personal attributes such as credibility and trust. Sound familiar? Since most systems engineers develop knowledge in engineering and management methods, processes, and tools, but lack training in leadership and systems level thinking, this course is targeted at strengthening team leadership and management skills. Engineering leadership requires a balance of creativity and control. Here, you will learn a number of key concepts that will help you be a more effective “leader/manager” in engineering teams.
What You Will Learn
- A systems oriented engineering leadership/management model
- Effective leader/manager characteristics for technical enterprises
- Leadership skills that empower agile and innovative teams
- Lifecycle management strategies and project planning in uncertain environments
- How to lead multi-disciplinary software and hardware systems development
- How to combine business strategy, system architecture, and requirements
- Systems thinking methods and tools for leading complex projects
How You Will Benefit
- Understand the characteristics of a good leader/manager and how to improve your team leadership skills.
- Understand how organizations enable/inhibit team performance.
- Implement and manage a product/project lifecycle.
- Learn project planning/management methods that address uncertainty.
- Learn the core skills of a system architect and how to apply them.
- Learn to think more holistically about products, projects, and organizations for better decision making.
LEADING ENGINEERING TEAMS
- A model for effective engineering leadership and management
- Leadership and engineering – the effective leader/manager
- Team leadership for agile and innovative teams
COLLABORATIVE ENGINEERING PROCESSES
- Product/project lifecycles and business case
- Developing and managing a system architecture
- Managing stakeholders, utility, needs, and requirements
- Case study: system models for managing a complex situation
LEADING AND MANAGING ENGINEERING PROJECTS
- Project management for complex projects: risk and uncertainty
- Effective project planning for agile teams
- Systems thinking and problem solving in project leadership
Tom is a leader, educator, and innovator in multiple technology fields. He currently serves as Deputy Director of the Systems Engineering Research Center at Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ, as well as a consultant specializing in strategic planning for uncertain environments. He st...
Marty Broadwell is director of Contract Management Support at Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI), responsible for managing and improving sponsor interaction and contracting vehicles and processes, while ensuring compliance with all FARs, Export Control, Organizational Conflict of Interest, an...
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.