This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Maintain Productive Working Relationships in a Union Setting
Designed with a managerial focus, the course provides practical guidance in how to maximize workforce productivity within the union-management context. Develop a framework for interpreting the collective agreement. Learn constructive ways to deal with conflict, grievances and disciplinary action. Foster collaborative interactions with employees and union representatives. Lead appropriately and confidently in a unionized setting.
What you will learn
- Develop a solid framework for interpreting the collective agreement, and understand how it affects the key functions of management
- See how union representatives view and respond to management
- Minimize conflict with the union over managerial actions
- Approach the grievance process constructively
- Learn key arbitral principles shaping rights and obligations in the employment relationship
- Uncover root causes of chronic problems and grievances
- Reduce defensiveness, reactance and other negative dynamics through honest two-way communication
- Challenges of leading a unionized workforce
- The legal and collective agreement context; key principles shaping rights and obligations in the employment relationship
- Understanding union culture and attitudes
- Handling relations with union representatives: avoiding distractions and digressions, being pro-active
- Responding effectively to grievances: investigating grievances, grievance negotiations
- Positive approaches to performance management and discipline: identifying expectations and performance gaps, giving feedback, just cause for discipline
- Daily chores: scheduling, defining and assigning work
This highly interactive course will incorporate discussions, case studies, group exercises, videos, simulations and personal assessment exercises.
Who should attend
This course is designed for front-line and middle managers responsible for leading unionized production, service and maintenance workforces. Supervisors and managers new to a unionized workplace will find the course particularly beneficial.
Trust the experts
Dr. Thomas R. Knight has over 30 years' experience as an educator, consultant and facilitator in a variety of areas of managerial and leadership practice. His areas of particular expertise include labour-management relations, negotiations, conflict resolution, leading change and transitions and a...