Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
You’re at the next stage of your career – ready to take on leadership roles. You’re poised to develop your influence and your understanding of power, to build strong teams and relationships. If you’re looking for quick, meaningful techniques to take your leadership up a level and become adept at interpersonal influence, this is the course for you.
About the course
- Understand where your power comes from and how to influence and persuade others
- Be a more effective leader through understanding how to manage others
- Enhance the creativity and innovation of your teams
- Know yourself and identify the values that guide your life
Build essential leadership competencies and become a better leader with this personalized online program
Are you looking toward the next leadership role in your organization? What essential competencies and capabilities do you need to build – ones that will also fit well with your personality traits? This program equips you to become a better leader in your organization, now and beyond.
While you’re growing in your new leadership position, you may feel uncertain about some aspects of it. As you develop your own influence, you want to understand better how your power base and personality really affect others. Use this program to deepen your knowledge and to improve your people management skills. The enhanced self-awareness, greater insights and the tools you’ll gain will empower you to guide others more efficiently and effectively.
Leadership Essentials is a toolbox with key concepts that give you a deeper understanding of leadership and the skills required for any situation. With newly sharpened capabilities, you will be able to create your own unique legacy in your field, team or industry.
Leadership Essentials - Your Learning Journey
Unit 1: Understanding your personality & values
- Discover your personality traits and values
- Understand personality traits and values and how they impact your leadership role and effectiveness as a leader
- Learn how to build on your strengths and compensate for your weaknesses
Unit 2: Managing power
- Identify the various bases of power
- Understand your own dominant power bases and how best to use them
- Practice how to translate power into status/leadership
Unit 3: Influencing & persuading others
- Know the core principles of psychological influence
- Understand and practice how to use these principles in your own influence challenges at work
Unit 4: Performance management & feedback
- Understand the main components of delivering negative feedback (including trust-building)
- Know when to use and distinguish formal versus ongoing performance feedback
- Learn how to deliver a formal performance review
Unit 5: Working in teams
- Discover what makes a high-performing team and how you can develop your own team into becoming one
- Understand how you can support your team's creativity
- Discover how errors and extrinsic motivators (besides money!) can foster creativity
Supporting you on your Leadership Essentials online program journey
You will have a dedicated learning coach, making sure you receive a highly individualized learning experience.
Your professional learning coach accompanies you through your 5-week learning journey on this Leadership Essentials online course. They provide support and feedback as you apply your learning directly into your workplace, where it has an immediate impact.
Their input helps you translate your learning to your particular context. By spreading this feedback regularly throughout the program, you'll be sure to embed your ongoing learning directly in your daily work.
Your professional learning coach interacts with you via video, in writing, and over the phone. You have calls, spread across the 5-weeks, at intervals that consolidate your learning.
Your learning coach helps you
- Define your learning objectives
- Review your progress on a weekly basis
- Overcome your challenges
- Translate what you learn to your own context
Jennifer Jordan is a social psychologist and is Professor of Leadership and Organizational Behavior at IMD. Professor Jordan's teaching, research, and consulting focus on the areas of corporate and individual ethics, power, leadership, and negotiation. Professor Jordan has received specialized t...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.