Leadership Essentials (LE)
- Understand where your power comes from and how to influence and persuade others
- Be a more effective leader through understanding how to manage others
- Enhance the creativity and innovation of your teams
- Know yourself and identify the values that guide your life
Build essential leadership competencies and become a better leader with this personalized online program
Are you looking toward the next leadership role in your organization? What essential competencies and capabilities do you need to build? Building Leadership Essentials equips you to become a better leader in your organization, now and beyond.
You uncover how to use power and influence effectively, and how it can help you to better lead others. You discover the importance of self-awareness and how understanding emotions and non-verbal communication can enhance your success as a leader. This online program provides you with the skills you need to not only improve yourself, but to guide your team more efficiently and effectively.
Leave with a toolbox full of key concepts that give you a deeper understanding of leadership and the skills required for any situation. With newly sharpened capabilities, you will be able to create your own unique legacy in your field, team or industry.
What's special about learning online @IMD?
You experience immersive, interactive learning. You get personalized coaching at each step and constant opportunities to translate what you learn to your own business context.
IMD's world-class faculty introduce you to the very latest in business knowledge, and provide you with skills to overcome challenges and find solutions.
Advance through your learning journey with weekly feedback from your dedicated personal coach. Discuss questions directly with your professors during live open office sessions. Sharpen your ability to apply and assimilate what you learn through group work with peers.
Building Leadership Essentials – your learning journey
This online course is 5 weeks long. It’s long enough for you to apply to your own working context what you learn and experience a profound impact in your interpersonal relationships.
Unit 1 - Understanding your personality & values
- Discover your personality traits and values
- Understand personality traits and values and how they impact your leadership role and effectiveness as a leader
- Learn how to build on your strengths and compensate for your weaknesses
Unit 2 - Managing power
- Identify the various bases of power
- Understand your own dominant power bases and how best to use them
- Practice how to translate power into status/leadership
Unit 3 - Influencing & persuading others
- Know the core principles of psychological influence
- Understand and practice how to use these principles in your own influence challenges at work
Unit 4 - Performance management & feedback
- Understand the main components of delivering negative feedback (including trust-building)
- Know when to use and distinguish formal versus ongoing performance feedback Learn how to deliver a formal performance review
Unit 5 - Working in teams
- Discover what makes a high-performing team and how you can develop your own team into becoming one
- Understand how you can support your team's creativity
- Discover how errors and extrinsic motivators (besides money!) can foster creativity
Your Executive Leadership Coach
How we are helping you
You will have a dedicated executive leadership coach, making sure you receive a highly individualized learning experience.
Your designated executive leadership coach accompanies you through your 5 week learning journey on this Leadership Essentials online course. They provide support and feedback as you apply your learning straight away in the workplace, where it has an immediate impact.
Their input helps you translate your learning to your particular context. By spreading this feedback regularly throughout the program, you'll be sure to embed your ongoing learning directly in your daily work.
Your executive leadership coach interacts with you via video, in writing and over the phone. You have calls, spread across the 5 weeks, at intervals that consolidate your learning.
Your learning coach helps you:
- Define your learning objectives
- Review your progress on a weekly basis
- Overcome your challenges
- Translate what you learn to your own context
Who should attend
Leadership Essentials is designed for individuals looking for quick, meaningful techniques to take their career up a level and become adept at interpersonal influence.