Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
Provides an introduction to employment relationships as effected by provincial and federal legislation. Consideration of the Alberta Labour Relations Act and the Public Service Employee Relations Act will be undertaken. Emphasis will be placed on the analysis of Labour Board decisions as they effect collective bargaining.
What you will learn
This course will focus on the challenges and changes faced by human resource departments responsible for managing employee and labour relations and the role of professionals and practitioners in the creation and evaluation of the forms, structures, concepts, skills, philosophy and values that are strategically effective as they must evolve in the growing and demanding roles within organizations.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Gain a general understanding of provincial and federal labour law
- Become aware of the changing expectations of the competitive and demanding work environment, the challenges of employee/union/management relationships in an environment deficient of competencies, and how those factors will affect the evolution of the human resource management
- Gain knowledge of the core labour and employee relations history, principles, and legal tenants. These include: the role of the law, labour relations board, union management relations, negotiations, conflict resolution, and problem solving
- Clearly articulate a comparison of the traditional and emerging roles in collective bargaining and dispute and conflict resolution of both union and management agents
- Develop and deliver an effective employee relations program in organization that is strategically aligned with current management expectations and evolving labour management trends and theory
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.