Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.
Who should attend
This course is intended for all laboratory managers, analytical chemists, medical scientists, laboratory supervisors, research and development scientists, microbiologists, food technologists and quality assurance/control managers.
About the course
What does it mean to be a scientist or technician in a laboratory? Why do laboratory staffs ask questions such as what is that substance and why does it react that way?
Since the beginning of time, man has been seen as an inquirer. We are always trying to discover new things, classify everything and to understand the behavior of things. The ability to enquire is one of the most important assets a person in a laboratory can have. You need to be able to act in the role of an inquirer when working in a laboratory environment.
The idea of this course is to give an introduction to working in a laboratory. It is hoped that people become aware of their role and function in a laboratory environment. Whatever the function of the laboratory, it's most important asset is the staff and how those staff perform. This course presents people with the basics to become an integral part of the laboratory and assist the facility to generate data that are of high quality and scientifically reliable.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Identify the dangerous chemicals and how to minimize the risk associated with tem in case of fire, chemical spill or sudden failure of equipment
- To exercise total quality management in producing reliable, consistent and independent results and on-time to their customers
- To emphasize on equipment calibration and maintenance as part of the quality assurance and quality control procedures
- To increase the awareness of the occupational health and safety in the laboratory environment, and exercising total professionalism in scientific and management areas
- To identify the most effective and efficient practice in planning, organizing, prioritizing and executing the business requirements
- To develop effective communication and interpersonal skills among lab personnel
- Pre Test
- Introductions and Course Briefing
- Laboratory Structure to ensure Integrity and Competence
- Quality Management Systems as a Framework for Business Process
- Laboratory Facilities
- Services and Supplies
- Ensuring Competence: Equipment
- Ensuring Competence: Personal
### Day 3
- Tenders, contracts and requests – the review process
- Ensuring competence – test and calibration methods
- Handling of samples and items from customers for calibration and test
- Documentation and documentation control process
- Ensuring competence – performance of calibrations and tests
- Ensuring competence – management controls
- Identifying potential and actual non-conforming work
- Process of recording and storage and retrieval of records
- Reporting results to client including opinions and interpretations
- Complaints process
- UKAS assessment and the roles of the QM and TM
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.