Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This course is intended for lab technicians, laboratory supervisors, laboratory engineers, chemists, laboratory analysts.
About the course
This training course is designed to provide participants with the knowledge, experience and confidence needed to understand and effectively use different laboratory equipment and perform effective analysis in oil and gas laboratories.
Through the course participants will be exposed to a wide range of equipment used in the oil and gas laboratories and their use including Flash point and RVP apparatus, API hydrometer, Calcimeter, Pipette apparatus, Wet Sieving Apparatus, Permeameter, Sandbox set for pf determination, Weight Boats, Centrifuge, Micro centrifuge Tubes, Micro centrifuge Tube Racks, Micropipettors, Pipettes, Pipette Bulbs, Mixers & Stir Bars, vortexers, Water Baths, Beakers, Flasks, Media Bottles, PH Meters, Spectronic and Spectrophotometer.
They will learn the standard test procedures and learn how to test and analyze samples of crude oil and petroleum products during processing stages and use different laboratory equipment effectively.
Upon successful completion of this course, the delegates will be able to:
- Test and analyze samples of crude oil and petroleum products during processing stages, using laboratory apparatus, testing equipment
- Following standard test procedures to determine physical and chemical properties and ensure products meet quality control standards
- Test samples of crude and blended oils, gases, asphalts, and pressure distillates to determine characteristics, such as boiling, vapor, freeze, condensation, flash and aniline points, viscosity, specific gravity, penetration, distillation, and corrosion, using test and laboratory equipment, such as hydrometers, fractionators, distillation apparatus, and analytical scales.
- Analyze content of products to determine presence of gases, such as propane, iso butane, butane, iso pentane, and ethane
- Determine hydrocarbon composition of gasoline’s, blending stocks and gases, using fractional distillation equipment, gas chromatography, and mass spectrometer
- Operate fractionation column to separate crude oil into oils with different boiling points to determine their properties
- Analyze composition of products to determine quantitative presence of gum, sulfur, aromatics, olefins, water, and sediment
- Compare color of liquid product with charts to determine processing factors measurable by color
- Crude oil lab equipment
- Water content
- Salt content
- Flash point and RVP apparatus
- API hydrometer
- Crude oil glassware
- Crude oil sample collection analysis
- Preparation chemicals
- Analytical techniques
- Qualitative vs. quantitative tests and the need for accuracy and precision
- Specifications, Standard operating techniques and test methods
- Good weighing practice
- Use of laboratory glassware
- Use of chemicals and reagents
- Documentation including writing up of reports
- Laboratory instrumentation and the use thereof
- Calibration and maintenance of equipment
- Safety in the laboratory
- Standard solutions used for analysis
- Methods of analysis
- Basic laboratory technique
- Sample preparation
- Analytical measurement
- Fundamental concepts
- Chemical equation
- Acidity of solution
- Preparation of chemicals
- Titration methods
- Validation of analytical methods
- Laboratory accreditation
- Laboratory standard safety guideline
- Identification of hazardous chemicals
- Safe work practices and procedures
- Management of compressed gases
- Transporting of chemicals
- Guidelines for good laboratory practices
- Storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids
- Laboratory waste disposal
- Spill and hazard waste management
- Laboratory First Aid
## Course Methodology
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.