Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with INSEAD Business School.Full disclaimer.
About the course
The International Directors Programme is our flagship course in corporate governance and is a unique educational experience that aims to develop effective directors for the global business scene. Today’s supervisory boards have to contend with a host of new pressures, challenges and risks in addition to evaluating the performance of the CEO and senior executives. They must therefore set the company’s strategic direction, often across diverse product markets and geographies, and monitor the firm’s risk profile.
Set within an international context that is unique in director education, this programme offers practical and tested frameworks and tools to sharpen judgment and decision-making skills. It also augments the oversight abilities of directors seeking to boost their existing competencies or to be better prepared for new board mandates. In three focused modules, you will master strategies for the following fundamental areas: board effectiveness and dynamics; board decision-making and oversight; and director effectiveness and development.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- Board operations: Understand the broader context in which boards operate and the responsibilities that come with a board mandate.
- Knowledge and competencies: Gain an overview of the knowledge and competencies expected from directors in today’s environment.
- Director-specific skills: Develop the specialised skills that contribue to the creation of an effectively performing board culture.
- Ability to challenge executives: Enhance your ability to challenge executives through positive exchanges focused on the key issues that underpin corporate performance.
The International Directors Programme consists of three modules: board effectiveness and dynamics; board decision-making and oversight; and director effectiveness and development. Together, these represent the knowledge base that trained directors are expected to master – and form the basis of effective board membership.
Within each module, the programme will focus on three fundamental questions:
- What do directors need to know in order to set the direction of the company?
- What are the proper boundaries within which the company should operate?
- How best can directors exercise their responsibilities to get things done in the boardroom?
BOARD FUNDAMENTALS: RESPONSIBILITY, EFFECTIVENESS, DECISION MAKING, AND STRATEGY
- Fundamentals of director and board effectiveness
- Fiduciary duty and shareholder supremacy
- The main governance challenges
- Effective decision making in the board room
- The Strategy imperative
- Value Creation at board level
BOARD DYNAMICS, EFFICIENCY AND THE ROLE OF COMMITTEES
- CEO-Board dynamics and conflicts
- The Director as political actor & the question of power
- Fair Process Leadership – a model for the board
- CEO selection, oversight, evaluation, and succession
- CEO Remuneration
- Financial statements and red flags in reporting
DEVELOPING DIRECTORS AND THEIR BOARDS
- Boards and Organisations in Crisis
- Fraud as a consequence of poor governance
- The challenge and opportunity of board diversity
- Putting it all together through a board simulation
- 360 evaluation of director strengths and development opportunities
- Group coaching techniques for director improvement
- Reflecting on roles and commitments
Who should attend
The International Directors Programme is designed for chairs and non-executive directors of listed and private corporations, government agencies and organisations, and non-profits. It is also aimed at CEOs, COOs, CFOs and other C-suite executives, as well as family members and controlling shareholders of boards of large family companies. Senior professionals from the institutional investment community and senior partners of professional firms who serve boards can also benefit from the programme.
Participants must demonstrate that they possess the credibility and competences required to assume board-level responsibilities, and have sufficient exposure to board matters to fully benefit from and contribute to a programme that involves role-play, simulations and exchanges with other participants.
Trust the experts
Anil Gaba is a Professor of Decision Sciences and the Orpar Chaired Professor of Risk Management at INSEAD. He is the Academic Director of INSEAD Centre for Decision Making and Risk Analysis. He served as Dean of Faculty in 2006-2009, and as Dean of Faculty and Research, Asia Campus, in 2002-2006...
Tim is faculty member at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto and a Visiting Scholar at INSEAD. His research interests include corporate governance, strategic alliances and stakeholder and social issues management. His publications appear in the Academy of Management Review, Aca...
Stanislav Shekshnia is Senior Affiliate Professor of Entrepreneurship and Family Enterprise at INSEAD. Stanislav Shekshnia directs the Leading from the Chair Programme. His research concentrates on leadership, leadership development and effective governance at emerging markets and organizations....
Philip Anderson is the INSEAD Alumni Fund Chaired Professor of Entrepreneurship and Professor of Entrepreneurship at INSEAD. He currently teaches courses in strategy, entrepreneurship, leadership, innovation, and change, and has written over 120 original case studies and teaching notes for these ...
Enrico Diecidue is a Professor of Decision Sciences at INSEAD. In 1996 he obtained his degree in Economics, with a specialisation in Mathematical Economics, from Bocconi University, Italy. He then joined the CentER (Center for Economic Research), Tilburg University, the Netherlands, where he rece...
Massimo Massa is the Rothschild Chaired Professor of Banking and a Professor of Finance at INSEAD. He teaches international finance, corporate finance, asset management, behavioural finance, and governance in MBA, EMBA, PhD and Executive Education programmes. He has an MBA from the Yale School of...
Erin Meyer is an Affiliate Professor in the Organisational Behaviour Department at INSEAD and specialises in the field of Cross-Cultural Management, Intercultural Negotiations, and Multi-Cultural Leadership. Erin is also the Programme Director for two INSEAD executive education programmes: Managi...
Ludo Van Der Heyden
Ludo Van der Heyden has been Professor of Technology Management at INSEAD since 1988. He is actively teaching in the MBA, Executive, and PhD Programmes. He holds the INSEAD Chair in Corporate Governance. He is actively contributing to the MBA, Executive and PhD Programmes, and is the Academic Dir...
International Directors Programme