Intelligent Transportation Systems
Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) is a multi-disciplinary, emerging and overarching field that covers Information and Communication Technology (ICT), infrastructure development, vehicular technology, data processing and computations, management of traffic supply-demand, mobility choices, fares and revenue modelling, project management, governmental policies and regulations. It holds a great potential in improving transportation efficiency. Scope for challenging and lucrative opportunities in ITS exist globally, and in all modes of transportation (road, rail, air and waterways) and traffic demands (passenger, freight and fleet). Creativity, necessity driven solution designs and innovative (problem-specific) approaches are fundamental to conceptualize and leverage ITS for betterment of transportation systems.
Nevertheless, the mobility challenges are very real from a global perspective, with depleting non-renewable energy resources; there is an ever increasing demand for quality and number of choices of smooth traffic. All stake-holders (citizen, transport operators, policy makers, regulators) vie for informed decision making and ITS is hoped to compensate for what infrastructure development has failed to deliver.
The Executive Education Programme on ITS, offered at IIMA is unique, in terms of its contextual relevance and managerial focus, unlike those offered by engineering/technical/logistic/IT schools. The programme is aimed at honing a conceptual and contextual clarity of ITS, with contemporary, real-life cases drawn from diverse economies all over the world; essentially, the curriculum is jargon-free.
To understand ITS conceptually as a macro traffic management system
To appreciate the multidisciplinary aspects of ITS, what is feasible and relevant in implementing ITS from multiple contexts.
To discuss the enabling role of technology (vehicular technology, infrastructure, information and communication technology, data processing).
To understand the operational aspects of ITS lifecycle (conceptualization, design, project management, operations and maintenance, policy and regulation).
• Challenges in ITS Development
• Purpose of ITS Deployment
• Determinants of ITS
• Information and Communication Technology
• Big Data Processing And Storage
• Communication Technology
• Mobile Networks
• Capacity Planning
• Operations, Maintenance and Control
• Project Management
• Fleet and Commercial Vehicle Operations
• Signalling and Traffic Priority
• Safety and Security
• Strategic Business Planning
• Sustainability of Operations
• Role of State and Regulatory Bodies
• Emerging Trends
Who should attend
· Mid and senior-level managers and executives in transportation operations in public sector, state and central Government organizations.
·Owner – leaders in private fleet and commercial transport operations.
· Executives from IT services, who work predominantly in transport verticals.
· Consultants (freelance and from reputed agencies) in transportation domain.
· Transportation planners and regulators