About the course
Your organization is doing exceptional work. You are passionate about your mission. The potential is great, if only more funding were available. Effective fundraising practices can be adapted to meet the unique realities of smaller nonprofits. Efficiently use your time and existing resources – including board members and other volunteers – to achieve your fundraising goals.
- Learn primary principles and techniques of fundraising
- Apply fundraising techniques to the context of a smaller-budget nonprofit
- Develop recruitment strategies to grow your fundraising team
- Devise an action plan to effectively fundraise for your charitable organization
Fundraising for Small Nonprofits is offered in-person or online.
The in-person class is two days in length.
- Day 1: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Day 2: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
The online course is three weeks in length.
Each week you'll have a course module to complete. Each module consists of:
- readings from a PDF study guide
- viewing a pre-recorded narrated presentation
- completing a 10-question quiz where you must score a 7 or higher
- engaging in forum discussions with others
- and submitting assignments.
- Course Introduction and Objectives
- Participant Introductions and Expectations
Today’s Philanthropic Landscape
The Fundraising Cycle / The Six Rights of Fundraising
- The Right Reason: Case for Support
- Mission Statements
The Right Gift
- Gift Range Charts
- Fundraising Readiness Assessment
The Right Person
- Board of Directors
- Developing Constituencies
Review and Reflect
The Right Amount: Ability
- Qualifying Prospective Donors
- The Right Time
Making the Philanthropic Request
Overview of Other Fundraising Opportunities
- Philanthropic Foundations
- Corporate Giving
- Special Events
- Online Giving
- Major Gifts
- Planned Giving
Develop an individualized checklist/plan to guide your organization’s fundraising efforts
Course Wrap Up & Reflections
- Evaluation of Expectations
- Course Evaluations
You’ll learn how to
- Build a convincing case for financial support
- Select the donors and markets best suited to your nonprofit
- Choose the right fundraising vehicles for your organization
- Inspire the leadership potential of volunteers
- Create a fundraising process that works, but is attainable with limited resources
What you’ll receive
- A comprehensive, easy-to-use study guide with models for future reference
- A chance to network with other professionals dealing with similar challenges
- Hands-on experience in planning special events
- Interactive training on how to ask for support
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.