Nonprofit Finance: Toolkit for Leaders
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Kellogg School of Management.Full disclaimer.
Frameworks for Organizational Success
Knowing the "numbers" is a complex challenge for all leaders. For senior executives of nonprofit organizations, this practical program will improve your understanding of — and ability to manage — the entire financial picture of your organization. Through lectures and small group projects, you’ll explore current issues and challenges in nonprofit finance, acquire essential budget and financial tools and learn how to build operating, and cash budgets.
Guided by experts in nonprofit finance and accounting, you’ll develop analytical skills for understanding your financial position more fully, work hands-on with audited financial statements and learn how to ask the right questions and identify threats to the financial sustainability of your nonprofit organization. You’ll leave with enhanced financial acumen and better equipped to manage your organization’s financial resources successfully.
- Develop the analytical ability to look at the revenue and expense sides of your nonprofit organization
- Look for threats to the financial sustainability of your nonprofit organization and responses to those threats
- Learn to think about current assets and ways to leverage those assets for the future
Introduction to Nonprofit Finance
- Explore current issues in nonprofit finance including challenges such as the general economy, funding cuts from federal, state and local sources, and greater competition in the philanthropic marketplace
- Identify solutions to the challenges such as effective use of budgeting and financial tools, more comprehensive understanding of finance operations, and building capacity for more collaborative relationships
- Understand two key budgets used by nonprofit organizations: the operating budget and the cash budget
- Participants will have the opportunity to build each type of budget throughout the day by working on an interactive case study
Understanding & Using Financial Statements
- Identify the three major financial statements and their interrelationships
- Get hands on experience with actual audited financial statements from two prominent nonprofit organizations and those of your own organization
- Develop skills at asking the right questions about financial statements
- Examine key performance indicators
Who should attend
- Senior nonprofit executives and active board members responsible for shaping their organization’s direction, mission and programs
- Nonprofit CEOs, executive directors and major program managers seeking new tools and approaches to improving their organization’s financial performance
- Mid-level nonprofit managers looking to take their careers to the next level by learning about the finance function of a nonprofit organization