Who should attend
Professionals in corporates and financial institutions who need to create useful and robust financial models. The programme will build a one page DCF model as part of the programme. The DCF model is used as the vehicle to transfer the financial modeling skills. Attendees should be able to use the basic facilities of Microsoft Excel and have basic accounting knowledge. This course is the perfect foundation to our Best Practice Financial Modeling (Intermediate) course.
About the course
Key Learning Outcomes:
- Design and construct useful and robust financial modeling applications
- Learn financial forecasting
- Use several of the support tools and techniques in spreadsheet programs
- Utilise sensitivity and scenario analysis
Introduction to Modeling
- Using Excel as a spreadsheet
- Effective construction of a model
- Objective and structure
- Initial preparation
The Fundamentals of Model Building
- Use of shortcuts
- Workbook set up
- Formatting data professionally
- Style basics
- Inputting base data
- Setting up date flexibility throughout the model using EDATE, EOMONTH and other date functions
- Breakdown and grouping of accounting elements
- Determine drivers of the model
- Assumptions for projections
- Effective use of shortkeys and functions
- Applicable financial and logical functions
- Data transfer and links
- Professional use of Excel –protection, range names, data validation
- Maximum use of Excel applications
- Flexible and user-friendly models
- Model diagnostics
- Using existing models
- How to become comfortable with ‘new’ models
- Auditing models
Formatting and Showcasing
- Professional showcase
- Use of graphs
- Using switches
Free Course Reference Guide
The Complete Financial Modeller is included as part of the programme (Normal RRP £80).
This 150+ page reference guide, taken from Fitch Learning’s “Complete Investment Banker” manual, is designed to act as a comprehensive and practical Excel and modeling reference guide. It helps users become more proficient at taking an idea or objective and turning it into a robust, flexible model. It is relied upon globally by our clients to support further training after their course. The guide is applicable for professionals at every level, from Intern through to Managing Director. It contains the clearest explanation and application of technical Excel content in a way that makes it accessible to all.
The programme also includes our Excel Short Cut that includes quick access to 40 of the most commonly used shortcuts.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.