This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
Learn how to achieve excellence as a developing manager
Management acumen is not necessarily something that you pick up as you go along. This course will enable you to develop behaviours that lead to sucessful management in todays diverse workplace. The 6 day programme has been designed to enhance your existing generic management skills and develop new competencies within a framework of identified essential skills.
- Understand the role of the manager in the modern organisation.
- Utilise a variety of management techniques to deliver results.
- Align, Implement, and manage focused work-plans.
- Enable trust and motivation within teams.
- Design strategies for increased employee performance.
- Select from a range of leadership styles to match the situation.
- Deliver communications with clarity and impact.
- Foster an environment for creativity and innovation.
The course is made highly participative by the use of a variety of learning techniques.
They include group discussions, feedback, skills inventories, exercises, case studies and role-plays. In addition, an individual action plan is developed by participants at the end of the course in order to encourage the transfer of learning back to the workplace.
Participants will receive a comprehensive manual, which will include course notes, management tips, handy checklists and appropriate management reference material.
- Effective communications
- Influencing skills
- Giving feedback
- Resolving conflict
- Motivating people
- Managing performance
- Leadership and teamwork
- Maximising personal development
- Understanding the role of the front-line manager
- Effective business planning
- Work organisation and alignment
- Managing your priorities
- Key aspects of human resources
- Creating effective business plans
- Creative problem-solving
- Delegation and empowerment
- Managing conflicting priorities
Who should attend
This programme is for managers early in their career (12 months to 2 years) who would like to develop their competencies around a key set of essential skills.
Ideally participants will have completed some form of foundational management development training before coming on this programme, such as IMI’s Front Line Management Foundation Skills programme. The Essential Skills of Management programme builds upon such foundations and provides learners with an engaging and active learning experience as they build their managerial skills.
IMI Short Programmes - Front Line Management