Who should attend
This course is designed for individuals aiming to build knowledge and skills in various financial management areas such as: budgeting, cost analysis, accounting, and finance in the Federal Government and in the Department of Defense.
About the course
This week-long course will introduce you to areas of financial management beyond your current daily responsibilities. The field of Defense financial management is both demanding and complex, covering a multitude of interrelated disciplines and informed by an elaborate body of fiscal law. As the DoD continues to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of financial management operations, it is increasingly important that the entire financial management workforce understands the context and contributions of members of each career field. When each team member comprehends the big picture, FM operations become more cohesive.
- Describe the interactions between the internal and external resource management elements of the DoD
- Identify the standards and environments under which Federal financial managers perform the planning, programming, and budgeting cycle
- Describe how accounting and finance in DoD can aid financial managers in meeting objectives for reliable financial management and reporting
- Describe management’s responsibility for enterprise risk management and internal controls
- Articulate the uses and importance of auditing
- Identify specific DoD legal requirements
Resource Management Environment
- Competency Area 1: Government Resource Management Environment
- Competency Area 2: Manpower Management
- Competency Area 3: Management’s Responsibility for Enterprise Risk Management and Internal Control
Budget and Cost Analysis
- Competency Area 1: Defense Budget Process
- Competency Area 2: Cost and Economic Analysis
- Competency Area 3: Strategic Planning and Organizational Performance Management
Accounting and Finance
- Competency Area 1: Fiscal Law
- Competency Area 2: Finance
- Competency Area 3: Accounting
- Competency Area 4: Auditing
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.