Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Professionals who wish to expand their networks and use them more effectively
- Leaders who want to improve their personal brand and increase their impact
- Individuals who want to proactively navigate their own career trajectory
About the course
Learn how to diagnose and react to organizational dynamics, build power, and increase your influence to amplify your impact.
There is a direct correlation between the understanding and mastery of power dynamics and personal and professional satisfaction and wellbeing. Discover the Paths to Power will build your power skills and teach you how to wield them — for maximum effect and impact.
This on-demand online course offers you same-day access to experiential and research-based content so you can immerse yourself in a highly relevant topic to your business challenges and context, bridge theory with practice, and make real-time impact in your organization.
Designed by and featuring Stanford's world-renowned tenured faculty, this course provides you with an engaging and flexible learning experience, without the application requirements or financial and time investment of a longer program.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion to add to your LinkedIn profile and download for your records.
This on-demand online course provides an introduction to topics and ideas that are useful for accelerating your career and building your power base.
- Build and develop your power skills — and know when and how to use them.
- Create, grow, and use social networks.
- Develop your personal brand and reputation to elevate success.
- Think about career moves in progression to control career direction.
Designed by and featuring tenured Stanford GSB faculty, this on-demand course will enable you to develop a Stanford mindset and immerse yourself in topics relevant to your business challenges and context, at your own pace and convenience.
Developed with an experiential approach to learning, this course extends beyond theory and enables you to put your learnings directly into practice for real-time results. You will receive personalized written feedback from course facilitators on select assignments to deepen your understanding and application of key concepts.
This course includes four modules, and the total time commitment is eight to 10 hours, inclusive of all content, coursework, and assignments. You will have access to the course for 60 days and can save select materials as a takeaway future resource.
Why Take This Course?
Power and politics are inevitable parts of organizational life–have been since the dawn of civilization and almost certainly always will be. Therefore, learning the social science of influence and mastering power skills are crucial determinants of people’s career attainment and their ability to get things done.
This short course on power provides an introduction to some of the most important topics and ideas that we believe are the most useful for accelerating your career and building your power base.
This course will employ a course text, short lecture videos, multiple case studies, and exercises through which you will receive some feedback from the teaching staff. The materials are designed to build your power skills and your willingness and ability to use these skills to get things done and enhance your career progress.
- Becoming comfortable with power
- Making strategic career moves, including building effective and efficient social networks
- Building a personal brand and reputation and getting better known
- Effectively handling opposition and conflict
- Understanding the benefits of power and some methods of attaining influence
- Learning how to position yourself in job roles that enhance your visibility and permit you to build more powerful social networks
- Creating a personal brand and reputation and beginning the process of propagating that image more widely
- Coming to terms with the inevitability of opposition and conflict and mastering the art and science of how to cope with these more effectively.
Awarded Upon Completion
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion to add to your LinkedIn profile and download for your records.
Research Statement Jeffrey Pfeffer has published extensively in the fields of organization theory and human resource management. His current research focuses on the relationship between time and money, power and leadership in organizations, economics language and assumptions and their effects on ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.