Developing and Presenting a Successful Business Case
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Schulich Executive Learning Centre.Full disclaimer.
Writing a business case using this five-step model will save you time and can be used immediately to build a compelling proposal. Program/Opportunity Identification – learn to specify the gap between the actual and ideal – and how your ideas will achieve measurable improvement. Analysis of success drivers and impediments – learn the steps of systematically building a business case for your organization. Presenting strategical and tactical alternatives – identify and present key options at both a strategic and tactical level. This program includes comprehensive financial evaluation and recommendations – a complete process to compare the pros and cons of each idea, including financial, corporate and environmental goals. Finally, implementing a winning action plan – how to present and timeline your recommendations across four key functional areas: operations, marketing, finance and HR.
What You Will Learn
- Present compelling business cases to management and stakeholders
- Use financial information and market data in your decision-making processes
- Prepare cost reduction and operational improvement proposals for your business
- Learn about other successful business cases from diverse industries
- Collaborate with other participants on an actual business case
- Present and tell the story behind your winning business case
- Five online modules over five weeks
- Access through a convenient centralized learning management portal
- Your learning management portal account will be active for an additional 4 weeks after the course ends
Course content details
Developing and Implementing a Successful Business Case
Making ‘The Business Case’ for Your Breakthrough Ideas
- Leading product, service and market development breakthroughs
- Overcoming financial, managerial and organizational barriers to new concepts and strategies
- Using the business case approach to compel others to support your vision for success
Using the Business Case Approach in Practical Terms
- The premise behind business case preparation
- Viewing your case plan as a complete document that frames the strategic reasons for supporting the project
- Applications for case analysis
- Financial and strategic measurement tools
Understanding 5 Key Steps in Business Case Preparation
- Problem/Opportunity Identification
- Analysis of Success Drivers/Impediments
- Presenting Strategic and Tactical Alternatives
- Comprehensive Evaluation and Recommendations
- Implementation and Action Planning
Conducting Financial Analysis for Your Business Cases
- What financial models are required to support strategic business decisions?
- What reports work best when building business cases?
- Using sensitivity analysis for different projected scenarios
- Advanced evaluation techniques such as NPV, Payback, Return on Investment, Developing A Case Presentation Specific to Your Organization
- Every organization operates differently
- How does your organizational decision-hierarchy work?
- Culture, strategy and environmental considerations
- Identifying critical objectives and decision criteria
- Showing strategic alignment to business goals
Preparing Your Final Report and Presenting Your Recommendations
- What are your organization and your boss really looking for?
- How to package and present your case for maximum impact
- Anticipating and responding to challenges
- Presenting your key financial and strategic reports
Who should attend
This skills-intensive online workshop is ideal for business managers, directors and vice-presidents who regularly develop and present new proposals, budgets, business plans and recommendations. It will teach participants how to build successful cases and cut preparation time.