Critical Thinking & Problem Solving for Public Service Leaders
Critical thinking is the ability to think clearly and rationally, using information to solve problems in our teams and organisations. It is an essential business skills that allows us to think outside the box, spot consequences and inconsistencies, construct and evaluate arguments, identify relevant ideas and systematically solve problems.
This Oxford Critical Thinking & Problem Solving for Public Service Leaders training seminar enables delegates to apply the skills of critical thinking and problem solving in the global knowledge economy so that they can deal with change quickly and effectively. They will return to their organisations able to analyse information from diverse sources to solve problems.
This Oxford training course will highlight:
- Strategies for applying critical thinking in teams and organisations
- Solving problems using the range of techniques available
- Understanding personal preferences and adapting them to situations and other people
- Practical applications of critical thinking and problem solving tools in the workplace
- Developing critical thinking and problem solving skills within teams and business units
During this Oxford training course, participants will develop the following competencies:
- Recognising when to use critical thinking in business situations
- Thinking clearly and solving problems rationally
- Analysing information from diverse sources in solving problems
- Developing, evaluating and selecting new ideas
- Critical self-reflection and self-evaluation for justifying decisions
This Oxford programme combines presentations that share both theory and industry best practices with practical sessions in accordance with adult learning and learner-centred learning principles. Overall, 60% of training will be experiential and 40% will be theoretical.
Participants will have lots of opportunities to put into practice the skills they develop and enhance during the course. We make the most of small and whole group exercises, videos, case studies, peer exchange, brainstorming, role plays and discussions. Participants are encouraged to reflect on and discuss their own professional issues and experiences.
We will spend lots of time working one-on-one and in small groups to resolve the challenges participants face. They will leave with new ideas and skills they can implement immediately they step back into their teams.
Case studies will be included in each of the modules to demonstrate the variety of ways global organisations are using critical thinking, creative thinking and problem solving.
Organisations benefit when leaders and managers take the time to think through issues before acting, including:
- Looking comprehensively at an issue, brainstorming and surfacing solutions to other unresolved problems
- Looking beyond conventional solutions and embracing new ideas to address problems
- Encouraging more teams and staff members to work together in solving company problems
- Developing multiple solutions to an issue and being able to select the most appropriate in any situation
- Avoiding making mistakes and jumping to the wrong conclusions
- Making decisions that deliver benefits in the longer term for the business
- Gathering information and analysing internal and external factors before making decisions
- Making decisions that take all stakeholders views into account
Delegates will be able to:
- Make logical connections between ideas
- Explain their reasoning in rational ways
- Participate in and evaluate discussions and debates
- Detect inconsistencies and common mistakes in reasoning
- Systematically solve problems on their own and in teams
- Justify their own opinions and recommendations
Who should attend
This Oxford training programme is designed for leaders in public service organisations who are involved in decision making or lead teams of decision makers, including:
- Senior Management Team Members
- Programme Directors and Project Managers
- Heads of Functional Units in HR, IT, Finance and Strategy
- Heads of Customer Service, Marketing and Sales Teams
- People with Leadership Potential who are preparing for their next role