Who should attend
Anyone seeking to develop their capacity to more deeply understand others; especially relevant for managers, coaches, team leaders as well as anyone working in a team setting.
About the course
Empathy is a core skill that underlies all positive interpersonal relations. Empathy enables us to understand how others see the world, regardless of whether we share their view. It allows us to understand the feelings of others, without necessarily sharing them, and while regulating our emotional response. Empathy has enormous impact on all our interactions, with significant importance for anyone leading, managing or working in teams.
This practical program will help participants learn about empathy based on the latest insights from neuroscience, psychology and philosophy. Attendees will learn how to effectively balance empathy with analytic thinking, balance self-focus with other-focus, and manage boundaries that are essential to avoiding stress and emotional fatigue. This program will help managers and coaches improve the quality of all their relationships, help them better understand their co-workers and clients, all while avoiding the very real potential pitfalls of empathy.
- How empathy makes leaders more effective
- Understanding the nature of connection
- The many different types of empathy
- Setting boundaries and avoiding the pitfalls of empathy
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Add to their knowledge of topics covered in other Emotional Intelligence programs, moving beyond the psychology through a deeper understanding of neuroscience and philosphy-related content
- Learn how to listen in a way that moves individuals past emotional obstacles and motivates them to action
- Gain tools for reading, understanding and predicting people more accurately
- Learn how to connect to others while avoiding over-attachement, burn-out and bias
Anthony Jack, PhD, is an associate professor of philosophy, psychology, neurology and neuroscience at Case Western Reserve University. He is also the research director of Inamori International Center for Ethics and Excellence, and principal investigator of the Brain, Mind and Consciousness Lab. D...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.