This course has no confirmed dates in the future. Subscribe to be notified when it is offered.
About the course
As a business executive or owner, your success lies in your ability to identify more profitable options than competitors, choose the high-probability option and execute the chosen option with lower risk. Dr. Sayan Chatterjee, one of the nation's foremost experts on competitive strategy, will guide you through an in-depth discovery of how to create, drive, and sustain competitive advantage.
This two-day seminar focuses on three basic questions: where to play, how to win and what to do.
Where to play: Making the wrong choice here can be irreversible. Our focus is on where you can sell more with greater pricing power.
How to win: However attractive your industry might be, making money depends on the underlying profit logic. You will learn how to operationalize the profit logic by isolating specific and measurable deliverables. If you can execute these deliverables you will not only exceed the customer’s expectations but simultaneously deliver these expectations more efficiently than competitors. We will address the concept of core objectives, and how to identify multiple core objectives for the same market that best match your capabilities, thereby dramatically increasing the probability of superior execution.
What to do: In this part, we will move from the abstract to the concrete, putting the components of your value chain together such that you can realistically execute it given your capabilities. In day one you will create a visual model for your business, seeing how to manipulate the resources of your business for easier execution. In day two you will be able to visualize multiple business model designs, giving you an optimal vantage point for selecting the one that best matches your capabilities.
Topics: Day 1
- Value chain, critical activities and key resources
- How to mitigate critical forces in the industry
- Attributes that customers will pay for and measurable business objectives to deliver those attributes more efficiently than competitors
- Using COAR maps to communicate the above visually and techniques for redesigning the value chain elements for easy execution
Topics: Day 2
- What is a business model
- Types of business models and generic profit logic
- Recognizing the business model that makes most sense for your business and customizing the profit logic from the generic logic
- Developing the COAR map and establishing execution parameters
As a result of attending this program, participants will:
- Choose market segments with high probability of profits based on industry dynamics and your business model
- Develop a step-by-step process to build the components of a business model that can transform the selected profit logic into real-world customer value and profits or shareholders
- Use design principles to get the most out of different functions by understanding how they interoperate
- Learn approaches for identifying more options than competitors for the same opportunity
- Recognize the kind of business you really have and the kind of business model you need
- Identify the true success drivers first-in-class industry leaders and adapt best practices from these and other companies that fit your business model, rather than adopt just any "best practice"
Who should attend
Executives and managers who have direct or indirect responsibility for the formulation and/or implementation of strategies that affect their organization's growth and market value. Functional managers from business development, marketing, operations, finance, human resources, or IT, or professionals moving into those roles.
Trust the experts
Sayan Chatterjee, PhD, is one of the leading scholars in the area of strategic management, corporate diversification, and mergers and acquisitions. He has published articles in leading academic and practitioner journals, and his research is used in PhD and MBA programs at most leading schools. Ch...