Who should attend
Anyone with limited authority over others who seeks to enhance their communication effectiveness. Business, technical and support professionals, team leads, coordinators, supervisors and junior to mid-level managers in particular will benefit from attending.
About the course
Conveying Your Message with Credibility, Competence and Confidence
This engaging program provides strategies and skills that anyone with limited authority can use to communicate to people at all levels with competence and credibility. You will learn and practice proven methods for conveying both routine and sensitive messages clearly and confidently when working remotely, communicating virtually or interacting in person.
Online program format
Each day of the program includes facilitator-led online sessions in real time, with ample breaks provided. The sessions are highly interactive, enabling you to network with peers, brainstorm ideas, practice new skills in virtual breakout rooms, receive constructive feedback, watch instructional videos and create personalized action plans you can implement immediately after the program. In addition, you will have access to self-directed readings, templates, checklists and assessments you can review at any time.
Benefits for you
- Develop a more constructive mindset and behaviours when you are working from a position of limited authority
- Become more efficient and effective when planning and delivering your message upwards or laterally
- Acquire a new toolkit of skills for informing and persuading others assertively and diplomatically
- Explore internal and external communication obstacles and apply methods to overcome them
- Engage others quickly and with maximum impact
- Acquire buy-in and support from individuals and groups at all levels
- Enhance your power, credibility and confidence when addressing others, despite your lack of authority
Module 1: Communicating Upwards with Confidence
- Identify your self-defeating obstacles when communicating upwards
- Tips for motivating people with more authority to give you their respect and commitment
- Strategies for crafting messages with impact when communicating upwards
- Practice a real-life conversation and create an action plan for communicating upwards more effectively
- Self-assessment: your style when communicating upwards
Module 2: Communicating Laterally with Assertiveness and Tact
- Strategies for becoming more assertive when communicating laterally
- How to convey sensitive messages with empathy and tact
- Practice planning, crafting and delivering messages that balance assertiveness with diplomacy
- Evaluate your assertiveness when communicating laterally; tips for improvement
- Guidelines for how to be more diplomatic
Module 3: Communicating Clearly to Inform
- What is and is not relevant when informing others—guidelines for informing with impact
- The WSN Technique for communicating to inform with clarity and tact
- Create an action plan for crafting and delivering impactful informative messages
- Practice a real-life conversation informing someone you have no authority over
- Checklist: how effective are you at informing others?
- Planning template and examples for communicating to inform
Module 4: Communicating Persuasively to Influence
- Essential components of an effective message to persuade when you do not have authority
- Strengthen your message’s persuasion appeal with the ROBA technique
- Craft and deliver a persuasive message using ROBA in a real-life conversation
- Create an action plan for communicating more persuasively
- Planning template for crafting and delivering a persuasive conversation without authority
- Assessing your persuasion power: guidelines for success
Gail Levitt, president of Levitt Communications Inc., is an influential leadership facilitator, coach and mentor with a unique approach that engages and inspires participants to learn and apply both theory and practice for peak performance. Gail offers a wide range of influential leadership topic...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.