Who should attend
- Professionals who conduct Business Valuation as part of their core function.
- Professionals who deal with Business Valuation as part of their daily routine work. (Accountants, external auditors, corporate & investment bankers, fund managers, and investment analysts).
- Professionals who have a strong interest in, or are affected by aspects of Business Valuation (concepts, principles and methodologies) through the performance of their job and/or discharge of their duties (legal professionals, regulators and board of directors).
The admission criteria are:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent in any field from a recognised institution;
- Recommended prior knowledge of accounting and finance;
- Writing, speaking, and presentation ability in English.
About the course
Business Valuation is gaining prominence in Asia, especially in Singapore. The Singapore Government’s Committee on the Future Economy (CFE) has identified Business Valuation as one of the high growth practice areas that will drive demand for Singapore’s legal and accounting services.
The increasing demand for business valuation services is fuelled by:
- the rise in merger and acquisition (M&A) activity;
- Singapore’s growth as a centre for litigation proceedings and arbitration;
- growing importance of intellectual property in business and
- the use of fair value measurement in the financial reporting framework.
The Chartered Valuer and Appraiser (CVA) programme is the first and only programme in Asia that provides a structured and formalised pathway aimed at raising the standards of ethics and professionalism among professionals who are involved in transactions, litigation and arbitration, and financial reporting. The programme instills in participants the technical competencies in valuation concepts, principles and applications as well as the approaches and methodologies for conducting valuation.
Benchmark to International Standards
The programme was developed in close consultation with industry practitioners from the accountancy, banking, legal and investment communities, based on the competency standards advocated by the International Valuation Standards Council (IVSC), the global standards setter for valuation.
Get Certified By Institute of Valuers & Appraisers, Singapore (IVAS)
Participants who successfully complete the programme and meet the requirements for relevant work experience may apply to Institute of Valuers & Appraisers, Singapore (IVAS) to become a certified Chartered Valuer & Appraiser (CVA).
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the standards, conceptual framework, valuation process for various approaches, and practical insights and methodologies to perform quality valuation.
- Upon successful completion of the programme and with relevant years of work experience, one can apply to IVAS to be certified as a Chartered Valuer & Appraiser (CVA), a prestigious title which has gained regional recognition.
- Demonstrate professional competence and integrity as a certified CVA holder and earn the trust and confidence of your employers and clients.
Targeted at the accountancy, financial and legal sectors, the curriculum is designed with an “outside-in” approach that starts with considering industry’s evolving needs and perspectives.
The course of study is defined by logical progression in three successive levels:
Level 1: Learning Outcomes
An introduction to the standards, terminologies, principles and process in carrying out a Business Valuation exercise. Participants will get insights into the collection and analysis of both quantitative and qualitative information.
Participants will also understand best practices in preparing and forecasting financial information.
Level 2: Learning Outcomes
Participants will learn the conceptual framework, the valuation process for various approaches, and practical insights and methodologies used in estimating the value of businesses and intangible assets.
In addition, participants will understand purchase price allocation exercise, and be abel to perform impairment testing of goodwill and intangible assets in accordance with financial reporting standards.
Level 3: Learning Outcomes
Participants will learn how to apply the concepts, methodologies and approaches taught in the previous two levels. Participants will also understand the professional expectations of a valuer, and practice standards to adhere to for a career in Business Valuation.
Please click here for details of the programme outline by level.
The programme includes an assessment at the end of each level. There will be a total of three assessments for the full programme. Participants must successfully pass the assessment at each level to progress to the next level. The assessments are conducted in English and will be taken in Singapore.
Flexible Learning Routes
Participants may select the structured or self-study route according to their learning style and availability:
Structured Learning Route
For individuals who prefer a more disciplined approach of attending scheduled classes and interacting with faculty, industry practitioners and coursemates.
For individuals who prefer a self-starter approach with the flexibility of studying at their own pace before sitting for the assessment.
Prof Low is the Associate Dean at the Nanyang Business School. He is a Certified Public Accountant (Singapore) and a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) by profession. He holds a Bachelor of Accountancy (Honours) from the National University of Singapore, a MBA (Dean list) from the University of To...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.