Who should attend
This course is ideal for buyers and merchandisers who want to work more effectively with these product categories, or for designers or retail entrepreneurs who want an insight into this part of the fashion retail industry.
About the course
The lingerie and swimwear category of the fashion retail industry has been growing quickly in recent years, and will see further growth as consumers are now looking for brands that suit their specific requirements.
Both product types are highly technical yet fashionable, and they present buyers and merchandisers with unique challenges: they must work with specialist manufacturers and fabrics and components, know how to ensure fit and functionality, and know how to plan for the category's seasons and trends.
If you work in fashion retail and want to improve your understanding of this exciting category, this course will give you an insight into how buying teams work to develop collections that fit and support yet look great. You will learn how brands are researched, from wide appeal brands to smaller niche brands. We will cover the importance of fit and working with suitable manufacturers, and touch on costs and pricing. You will also gain an understanding of the role of the merchandiser in planning and sizing.
Each week you will learn through lively class discussions, presentations and case studies. The focus will be on developing your practical skills, and you will be given weekly assignments to complete and will receive personal feedback from your tutor.
By the end of the course you will have an understanding of;
- How the Lingerie and Swimwear market differs from the rest of the industry.
- The day to day work life of a lingerie or swimwear Buyer.
- Hints and tips to help build a successful career in the industry.
- The impact of fashion trends for swimwear and lingerie.
- The importance of fit and function.
- How to conduct competitive shopping S.W.O.T analysis.
- How to create a brand concept.
- How to plan a range, including pricing structures.
- How to research and understand your customer.
- How fashion trends influence collections.
- Creating a brand that stands out from the crowd.
- Planning a collection.
- Importance of fit and function.
- Range building.
- Costs and pricing.
- Working with manufacturers.
- The role of the merchandiser in planning and trading.
- How the industry is evolving.
- Industry overview and career advice.
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
Sasha is a highly successful Senior Buyer with over 16 years industry experience working for a number of large high street retailers. Her career has resulted in extensive product development knowledge covering a number of categories including Womenswear, Accessories and she has specialist knowled...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.