Board of Directors
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Aalto University School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Cultivate Your Board's Global Mindset
Board of Directors is a high-level director and executive program with a truly global and strategic perspective. The program develops board members’ competence to evaluate a company’s strategy in the constantly changing business environment. The focus is on strengthening the boards’ capabilities in directing the company. Participation in the program requires commitment to evolve as a team member in order to make personal board performance more effective.
The main objective of the Board of Directors program is to provide participants with a view of the global economy and its impact on organizations and the way strategies are built. Tools are provided for assessing an organization's strategy from a board perspective, together with new insights on how to build a board with dynamics that will facilitate good decision making.
After the program the participants:
Have enhanced their ability to contribute to the success of the organization as a board member,
Have enhanced their ability to assess the strategy of the organization,
Have enhanced their ability to understand and contribute to the dynamics of the board in a positive manner in order to make the best possible decisions as a board, and
Have a view on means to support the CEO and the executive board.
The Board of Directors program offers ways for a board to develop a global mindset to sense and interpret transformation in the global economy. It strengthens the ability of a board to direct company strategy, and supports company performance when developing more effective board dynamics.
- Offers new frameworks to develop a truly global mindset
- Strengthen your strategic thinking in the global market place
- Provide you with the tools to give high performance to the board you serve on
Contents and Schedule
The next Board of Directors program will be held in May–August 2018.
Building the Next Generation Global Enterprise
The structure and dynamics of the global economy are changing at almost hurricane speed. Some of the most profound changes include a) trends in the global economy, b) the sustainability gap, and c) technological advances.
The first module will be hosted by Sixten Korkman.
Historical perspective on growth
Globalization and its challenges: Is the speed of Globalization too fast for too many?
Financial Market trends
Rise of private equity and improved corporate governance
Market integration: M&A, cross-border flows
Trends in executive and labor compensation
Excessive wealth concentration
Role of new innovations
Triple bottom line – measuring the financial, environmental and social impact
Sustainability strategies (civic, strategic, managerial, compliance, defensive)
Corporate responsibility actions (philanthropy, CR integration, CR innovation)
Sustainability-oriented innovation: Solving grand challenges by co-creating new products and services
Technology development on the board's agenda
Leading the digital innovation ecosystem
The new principles of e-commerce
Digitalization of different functions in organizations
Strategic Direction and Strategic Responsibility of the Board
he main goal for this module is to: Strengthen the ability of a board to direct company strategy. The more specific objectives of the module are to help participants to
- Gain an overview of the strategic roles of a board and individual board members
- Develop the ability to assess the quality of a firm’s strategy from a board perspective
- Gain an understanding of the different ways that a board can be involved in strategy work
- Learn about the central success factors in a board’s involvement in strategy
- Learn about the roles of a board in restructuring actions, such as M&As Discuss the roles of a board and the owners of a company
Board Dynamics and Performance, Conflicts and Decision Making
The primary purpose of this module is to achieve better understanding of behavioral dynamics in various board contexts. The specific objectives are to
- Familiarize ourselves with the correlation between corporate performance and top team dynamics
- Better understand the behaviors and dynamics among top teams
- Learn to embrace enriching conflicts with positive outcomes
- Plan, design and anticipate the impact of changes among a top team
Who should attend
- Board members in publicly held and privately owned companies
- Executives preparing to serve on a board
- Executives working closely with boards