Who should attend
Although there are no formal education or background requirements, this course is designed for executives who meet the criteria below. While we strongly encourage global participation, please note that all courses are taught in English. Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Years of Experience – Designed for professionals with 5+ years of work experience
- Job Functions – Ideal for professionals who have significant leadership responsibilities and are looking to develop their leadership presence in order to effectively communicate to their teams
- Prerequisites – Intended for individuals with existing communication skills and leadership experience who want to further develop their abilities
About the course
Leadership is the ability to make things happen with, and through, other people. The most effective leaders are able to develop, articulate and execute a compelling vision that energizes and inspires others. The two courses included in this bundle will examine the mindset needed for strong leadership and provide skills and frameworks needed to become a more impactful leader within your organization.
During this course, participants will:
- Examine the meaning of leadership from multiple perspectives
- Develop a framework for translating leadership into effective actions
- Learn about power and influence, collaboration, teamwork and networks
- Assess communication preferences and review personal delivery techniques for strengths and listener perception of authenticity
- Integrate feedback from faculty members and peers during videotaped sessions into a personal plan for enhancing their presence as a leader
- Develop communication strategies, storyboards and presentation outlines that support a defined audience experience
Day 1 – Leadership Training for High Potentials
Session 1: What does it take to be a leader?
- What is leadership and what is success in a leadership context?
- Transitioning from a management to a leadership mindset
- Core principles for leadership effectiveness
Session 2: Leaders as Influencers and Change Agents
- Moving from vision to action: power, influence, & persuasion
- Developing social capital and trust
- Leading change within organizations
Leadership Training for High Potentials Day 1 Conclusion and Evaluations
Day 2 – Leadership Training for High Potentials
Session 3: Leadership in a complex and dynamic world
- The complex world within which leaders operate
- Leadership as a collective endeavor
- Moving from "command and control" to "connect and collaborate"
Session 4: Adaptive and team leadership
- Building and leading effective teams
- Finding balance between autocratic and participative models
- Making empowerment work
Leadership Training for High Potentials Program Conclusion and Evaluations
Оctober 2019 Session: The October 2019 session will not have any programming on this day.
June 2020 Session: The June 2020 session will have a full day of programming on this day. Agenda to come.
Day 4 – Communication Strategies
Session 1: Communication Preferences: A Self Assessment
- Discover how preferences in perceptions, words and opportunities effect communication style
- Explore the effect of communication preferences on business opportunities
Session 2: Communication Strategy
- Developing communication strategy using audience, intent, message and task
- Creating credibility and relevance with your communication strategy
- Group exercise: Communication Strategy
Session 3: Structuring Presentations for Maximum Effectiveness
- Structuring presentations that work best for your audience and intent
- Organizing for logical patterns and building transitions
- Using imagery and metaphors to enhance audience retention and engagement, clarify concepts and make difficult data accessible
Session 4: Presentation 2.0: Upgrading Your Presentation Technique
- Task: Two- to three-minute taped presentation on current business challenge or project Feedback and debrief
Session 5: Communication Strategy
- Understand your non-verbal cues, vocal strength, body language and personal energy to upgrade your presentation and communication skills
- Techniques for more effective delivery
Session 6: 2nd Taped Presentation: Upgrading Your Presentation Techniques
- Task: One-minute elevator presentation summarizing a longer prepared speech for a large diverse audience
- Feedback and debrief
Communication Strategies Day 1 Conclusion and Evaluations
Day 5 – Communication Strategies
Session 7: Audience Interaction
- Increasing your Emotional Intelligence (EQ)
- Developing better listening, questioning and answering habits
- Enhancing facilitation skills
- Interacting with diverse audiences
Session 8: 3rd Taped Presentation: Projecting Credibility and Expertise
- Task: Three-minute presentation expanding on your elevator presentation with preparation for questions
- Feedback and debrief
- Self-reflection exercise: Questions to ask yourself after every presentation
Session 9: The Presence of a Leader
- Using feedback from presentations to develop your leadership style
- Using language of feedback with staff/superiors to show support as a leader and build trust
Session 10: Projecting Trust in an Age of Transparency
- When and when not to challenge a listener/audience in your communication
- Identifying situations to enhance your leadership presence
- Monitoring your online profile
- Developing a plan to get constant feedback and improve your communication skills
Communication Strategies Program Conclusion and Evaluations
Susan Stehlik joined New York University Stern School of Business as an adjunct professor in 1999 and now serves as a Clinical Associate Professor of Management Communication. She also manages a consulting practice, Prime Time Ideas, inc. Her combined academic and profession projects have focuse...
Nathan Pettit joined New York University Stern School of Business as an Assistant Professor of Management and Organizations in 2011. He teaches the undergraduate core course "Management and Organizations." Professor Pettit's research focuses on the behavioral consequences of experiencing and des...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.