Accountability for Results
Results matter to Congress, the administration and the American public. The ability to demonstrate positive outcomes — and make government work more effectively — helps your agency build trust and secure resources.
“Challenges to accountability include a lack of public trust, inconsistent or uncertain resources, and perceived bureaucratic incompetence. These challenges affect public servants’ ability to achieve positive outcomes for their agencies and the American people, which is why we address them in this class.” – G. Edward DeSeve, Executive in residence and class instructor, Brookings Executive Education
OPM Competency: Accountability
MSL Credit Hours: 1
- Focus on four frameworks: the President’s Management Agenda, organizational analysis, strategic planning and enterprise risk management
- Design measurement systems that evaluate performance
- Examine your agency’s readiness to meet performance goals
- Develop strategies for the ongoing assessment of results-oriented leadership
Ethics in Action: Leading With Integrity
Gain greater self-awareness, tools for moral reasoning and a sound ethical framework for everyday decision making. During the course, you explore the meaning of integrity, values and beliefs and how these attributes affect behavior. Class discussions examine the call to public service and issues of the interest to the American people.
“The course helps leaders understand why good people do bad things. Students learn how to identify risky situations and environments. Critical-thinking frameworks provide personal and organizational processes for anticipating and resolving behavioral problems — helping individuals and organizations achieve their public-service missions.” – Lamar Pierce, Academic director and class instructor, Master of Science in Leadership
MSL Credit Hours: 1
- Drive ethical public sector decision making in your agency
- Increase your self-knowledge, which, in turn, increases your ability to engage honestly with others, build trust and promote collaboration
- Increase your appreciation of personal responsibilities within bureaucratic frameworks