Director of the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship at Cranfield School of Management
Cranfield School of Management
Dr Vyakarnam worked in industry for several years before completing his MBA and PhD at Cranfield.
He has combined academic, practitioner and policy interests to provide advice to governments and on the development of entrepreneurial ecosystems, technology commercialisation and entrepreneurship education. He has mentored entrepreneurs and held non-executive directorships of small firms in addition to developing growth programmes for SMEs over several years. From 2003 to 2015 he focused on the development of practitioner-led education for entrepreneurship at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School, Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning.
Dr Vyakarnam was awarded "Best Entrepreneurship Professor" at the 2nd Asian Business Schools Awards in 2011. In 2012 he was elected to the prestigious European Academy of Science and Arts.
Dr Vyakarnam was on the faculty of Cranfield School of Management for 10 years before taking up a Chair in Enterprise at Nottingham Business School.
He has held Visiting Professorships at University of Reading and University of Aarhus, the Indian Institute of Science and the American University of Cairo.
Dr Vyakarnam is Director of the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship at Cranfield.
He is presently Co-Founder and Director of AcceleratorIndia, Chaiman of KisanHub and on the Advisory Board of Smart Vineyards, both in the agritech sector.
Dr Vyakarnam is Trustee of The GEN Initiative. He is Senior Member of Darwin College and Resident Senior Member of Wolfson College.
- Articles in journals
- Conference papers
Articles In Journals
- Barakat S, Boddington M & Vyakarnam S (2014) Measuring entrepreneurial self-efficacy to understand the impact of creative activities for learning innovation, International Journal of Management Education, 12 (3) 456-468.
- McCammon MG, Pio E, Barakat S & Vyakarnam S (2014) Corporate venture capital and Cambridge, Nature Biotechnology, 32 (10) 975-978.
- Lawrence A, Clark L, Labuzetta JN, Sahakian B & Vyakarnum S (2008) The innovative brain, Nature, 456 (7219) 168-169.
- Vyakarnam S & Handelberg J (2005) Four themes of the impact of management teams on organizational performance: Implications for future research of entrepreneurial teams, International Small Business Journal, 23 (3) 236-256.
- Yin M, Vyakarnam S & Marino L (2005) The effect of social capital in new venture creation: the Cambridge high-technology cluster, Strategic Change, 14 (3) 165-177.
- Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (2001) The challenges of virtual partnerships: Critical success factors in the formation of inter-organisational teams, AI and Society, 15 (1-2) 99-116.
- Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (2001) Exploring team formation processes in virtual partnerships, Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 12 (6-7) 512-523.
- Vyakarnam S & Adams R (2001) Institutional barriers to enterprise support: an empirical study, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy - Superseded by Politics and Space., 19 (3) 335-353.
- Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (2000) A holistic approach to virtual entrepreneurial team formation, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 1 (3) 173-182.
- Vyakarnam S, Jacobs R & Handelberg J (1999) Exploring the formation of entrepreneurial teams: the key to rapid growth business, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 6 (2) 153-165.
- Vyakarnam S (1998) A business plan for growth, Real Business, 2 (8) 7-14.
- Vyakarnam S, Bailey A, Myers A & Burnett D (1997) Towards an understanding of ethical behaviour in small firms, Journal of Business Ethics, 16 (15) 1625-1636.
- Rieple A & Vyakarnam S (1996) The case for managerial ruthlessness, British Journal of Management, 7 (1) 17-33.
- Vyakarnam S, Srikantham S & Fitzimmons S (1996) Can accountants distinguish their assets from their morals?, Business Ethics: A European Review, 5 (3) 156-163.
- Vyakarnam S (1995) Focus groups: are they viable in ethics research?, Business Ethics: A European Review, 4 (1) 24-29.
- Rieple A & Vyakarnam S (1994) Corporate entrepreneurship: a review, Journal of Entrepreneurship, 3 (1) 1-20.
- Vyakarnam S & Jacobs RC (1994) Starting big businesses small, Small Business Issues.
- Vyakarnam S (1993) Companies ''aiming to be socially correct'', Management Consultancy (Ceased in 2002).
- Vyakarnam S (1992) Social responsibility: what leading companies do, Long Range Planning, 25 (5) 59-67.
- Vyakarnam S & Fiafor J (1991) Cultural issues in enterprise development - a case study of rural Ghana, Small Enterprise Development, 2 (3) 37-41.
- Vyakarnam S (1989) Personal construct theory for management research, Graduate Management Research, 4 (2).
- Vyakarnam S (1984) Comparing and evaluating the performance of industrial salesmen, Journal of Sales Management, 11 (2).
- Pitsa E & Vyakarnam S (2014) Competition and co-opetition: a case study of alternative approaches to co-creation. In: Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2014, Philadelphia, PA. 74th, 1-5 August 2014.
- Barakat S, McLennan R, Ihasz O, Winfield S & Vyakarnam S (2010) Same programme, different students: same or different self-efficacy effects?. In: ISBE 2010: 33rd Annual Conference, London, 2 November 2010.
- Mills J, Barakat S & Vyakarnam S (2010) The impact of e-learning strategies for entrepreneurship education. In: ISBE 2010: 33rd Annual Conference, London, 2 November 2010.
- Vyakarnam S & Myint Y (2006) Becoming a global entrepreneur: it takes networks, passion and experience. In: ISBE 2006 29th Annual Conference, Cradiff, 31 October 2006.
- Vyakarnam S & Myint Y (2005) Entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship as key drivers of the Cambridge Technopole. In: Second AGSE International Entrepreneurship Research Exchange, Melbourne, 14 February 2005.
- Vyakarnam S (2005) To inspire, inform and help implement: the role of entrepreneurship education. In: Second AGSE International Entrepreneurship Teaching Exchange, Melbourne, 14 February 2005.
- Myint Y & Vyakarnam S (2004) Multiple directorships in Cambridge Hi-tech cluster. In: Entrepreneurship & SME development : "creating opportunities: entrepreneurship & SME development in education, policy & research" 2004, Newcastle / Gateshead, 2 November 2004.
- Myint Y & Vyakarnam S (2004)
The role of serial entrepreneurs in the Cambridge high-technology cluster
. In: 24th Annual Entrepreneurship Research Conference, 2004, Strathclyde. - Handleberg J & Vyakarnam S (2001) Four models of the impact of management team on organisational performance: implications for theory and practice of enrepreneurial teams. In: 21st Annual Entrepreneurship Research Conference, 2001, Jonkoping, 14 June 2001. - Vyakarnam S & Gatt E (2000) Small Business Service: Reinventing the wheel - will it make a difference?. In: 23rd ISBA National Small Firms Policy and Research Conference, 2000, Aberdeen, 15 November 2000. - Vyakarnam S, Stockley S & Kershaw W (2000) Behavioural configurations in Rapidly growing businesses: testing and refining the ''Snakes and Ladders'' model of corporate development . In: 20th Annual Entrepreneurship Research Conference, 2000, Boston, 6 June 2000. - Handelberg J & Vyakarnam S (2000) Entrepreneurial top management team demography, process and organizational growth: differential effects by industry, firmsize and perceived product innovativeness. In: 20th Annual Entrepreneurship Research Conference, 2000, Boston, 6 June 2000. - Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (1999)
Inter-organisational team interactions and communication patterns in virtual business settings
. In: 15th International Conference on Industrial Marketing and Purchasing, 1999, Dublin, 2 September 1999. - Handelberg J & Vyakarnam S (1999) Entrepreneurial top management team demography, team process and organisational performance: five models on the impacts of management team on organisational performance. In: 19th Annual Entrepreneurship Research Conference, 1999, South Carolina, 11 May 1999. - Fletcher D & Vyakarnam S (1999) International enactment of entrepreneurial values: mapping internationalisation processes in small firms. In: 19th Annual Entrepreneurship Research Conference, 1999, South Carolina, 11 May 1999. - Adams R & Vyakarnam S (1999) Why owners of small businesses buy training and development programmes: an application of buyer behaviour models to the take up of training. In: 5th Annual Research Symposium on the Marketing-Entrepreneurship Interface, 6 January 1999. - Vyakarnam S & Adams R (1999)
It''s not what you do, it''s the way that you do it: behavioural rigidities diluting policy effectiveness; some research based on observations
. In: 22nd ISBA National Small Firms Policy and Research Conference, 1999, Leeds, 17 November 1999. - Vyakarnam S, Jacobs R & Handelberg J (1998) Towards a theoretical model of entrepreneurial team formation. In: Frontiers of entrepreneurship research 1998, 21 May 1998. - Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (1998) Formation and development of market driven strategic partnerships. In: RENT XII - Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business Conference, Lyon, 26 November 1998. - Vyakarnam S, Jacobs RC & Handelberg J (1997) The formation and development of entrepreneurial teams in rapid growth businesses. In: Frontiers of entrepreneurship research, 1997, Boston, Massachusetts, 16 April 1997. - Rae D, Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (1997) Barriers to growth: what questions do growing businesses ask in relation to their strategies for growth?. In: 20th ISBA National Small Firms Policy and Research Conference, 1997, Belfast, 19 November 1997. - Rae D, Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (1997) The role of business information in facilitating growth of small business. In: 20th ISBA National Small Firms Policy and Research Conference, 1997, Belfast, 19 November 1997. - Llewelyn T, Ratcheva V & Vyakarnam S (1997) Before and after firmup 12- testing a methodology to determine the effects of owner/manager training on business performance. In: 20th ISBA National Small Firms Policy and Research Conference, 1997, Belfast, 19 November 1997. - Vyakarnam S & Raghunath S (1996) Culture and competence: why banks do not provide effective services to SMEs in India. In: 26th EFMD Small Business Seminar, 1996, Vaasa, 11 September 1996. - Vyakarnam S, Jacobs RC & Pratten S (1996) Building and managing relationships. The core competence of rapid growth businesses. In: 19th ISBA National Small Firms Policy and Research Conference, 1996, Birmingham, 20 November 1996. - Vyakarnam S, Jacobs RC & Pratten S (1995) Using a competence framework to achieve change. In: British Academy of Management Conference, 1995, Sheffield, 11 September 1995. - Vyakarnam S, Jacobs RC & Elmer G (1995) How small businesses can grow more quickly. In: British Academy of Management Conference, 1995, Sheffield, 11 September 1995. - Jacobs RC, Vyakarnam S & Elmer G (1995) The development of people- the missing link in enterprise support. In: Small business and enterprise development conference, 1995, Leeds. - Jacobs RC & Vyakarnam S (1995) The need for more strategically led, research based approach in management development. In: Occupational Psychology Conference, 1994. - Vyakarnam S & Jacobs RC (1994) A new framework for enterprise support- four key steps to implementation. In: National small firms'' policy and research conferences, 1994, Sheffield. - Vyakarnam S & Jacobs RC (1994) A new framework for enterprise support. In: Small business and enterprise development conference, 1994, Manchester. - Vyakarnam S (1994) Business plans- in search of irrelevance. In: International Workshop on Innovations in Training for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development, 27 April 1993. - Tixeira RM & Vyakarnam S (1993) Small business social responsibility. In: 16th National small firms'' policy and research conference, 1993, Nottingham. - Vyakarnam S & Jacobs RC (1993) Teamstart- overcoming barriers to growth. In: 16th National small firms'' policy and research conference, 1993, Nottingham. - Vyakarnam S, Myers A & Bailey A (1993) A survey of ethical practices in small firms. In: 15th National small firms'' policy and research conference, 1992, Southampton. - Vyakarnam S (1991) The new Europe from the Third World. In: European Business Ethics Network Conference, 1991, London. - Vyakarnam S & Jacobs RC (1991) How bank managers see high tech entrepreneurs. In: 14th National small firms'' policy and research conference, 1991, Blackpool, 20 November 1991. - Jacobs RC & Vyakarnam S (1990) The personal transition of scientist academics into business ownership. In: Symposium on Growth and Development of Small High-Tech Businesses, 1990, Cranfield, 2 April 1990. - Vyakarnam S (1990) The cultural constraints to small business development. The case of rural Ghana. In: 13th National small firms'' policy and research conference, 1990, Harrogate. - Saunders P & Vyakarnam S (1988) Comparing urban and rural enterprises. In: 11th National small firms'' policy and research conference, 1988, Cardiff. - Vyakarnam S & Saunders P (1988) Counselling needs of small businesses. In: 11th National small firms'' policy and research conference, 1988, Cardiff.
- Phake U & Vyakarnam S (2017) Camels, Tigers and Unicorns: Rethinking Science and Technology Enabled Innovations. World Scientific.
- Phadke U & S Vyakarnam (2017) Camels, Tigers and Unicorns: Rethinking Science and Technology Enabled Innovation. World Scientific.
- Vyakarnam S & Barakat S (2015) Facilitating entrepreneurship as a catalyst for change. In: Entrepreneurship and innovation in Egypt, The American University in Cairo Press.
- Vyakarnam S (2013)
Global perspectives: the need for and understanding of a technology commercialisation framework
. In: Emerging issues in technology management. Akhilesh KB (ed.), Springer. - Vyakarnam S & Hartman N (2011) Unlocking the enterpriser inside: a book of why, what and how. World Scientific. - Vyakarnam S & Leppard J (1995) A marketing action plan for the growing business. London: Kogan Page, ed. 1st. - Vyakarnam S (1995) Action plans for the small business. New York: DBM Publishing. - (1994) Making it happen. - (1991) Developing African rural enterprise. - (1990) When the harvest is in: developing rural entrepreneurship. - Vyakarnam S & Harper MH (1988) Rural enterprise: case studies from developing countries. IT Publication. - Vyakarnam S & McCullough M (1988) Assessing the community needs of Riseley village. In: When the harvest is in. Vyakarnam S (ed.), IT Publications. - Vyakarnam S & Raghunath S Culture and competence: banking services to SMEs in India. In: Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Kanungo RN (ed.), New Delhi: Sage.
Read about executive education
Expertise Topics Economics Globalization European Union and Transatlantic Relations Governance International Political Economy Languages Dutch French German Italian Background and Education Erik Jones is Director of European and Eurasian Studies and Professor of European Studies and Intern...
Education Ph.D., Clinical Psychology & Organizational Development, The Wright Institute M.A., Theology & Comparative Literature, The University of Chicago M.A., Religion & German, Florida State University B.A., German Language & Literature, Florida State University Positions He...
Biography Luis Quintero, PhD (Economics and Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon University) joined the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in 2015. He is an Assistant Professor on the research track. His research focuses on structural econometric analysis of urban growth and housing markets. H...
The Positive Leader: Deep Change and Organizational Transformation
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Advanced Human Resource Executive Program
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Leading Digital Transformation
Oxford Fintech Programme
Said Business School
Private Equity: Investing and Creating Value
The Wharton School
The Manchester Leadership Development Programme
Alliance Manchester Business School
Manchester, United Kingdom
Leading People and Teams
Strategic Human Resource Leadership
Rotman School of Management
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jan 31, 2022
Leading Strategic Growth and Change
Columbia Business School
Looking for an expert?
Contact us and we'll find the best option for you.