Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
Professor of Public Policy and Management
Prof. Manish Thakur is a faculty at the Public Policy & Management Group of the Indian Institute of Management
Calcutta. He is the Programme Director for the one year full-time Post-Graduate Certificate Programme in
Healthcare Management (PGCHM); and has been Programme Director for Executive Programme on Global Business
Prof. Thakur had completed his MA from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (1995) and Ph.D. from Goa University.
He has since put in over fifteen years of service as a teacher and researcher. Dr. Thakur is currently faculty-in charge
of the new IIM Bodhgaya and is the recipient of the prestigious M.N. Srinivas Memorial Award for Young Sociologist
(2007) and Radhakamal Mukherjee Memorial Award for Young Social Scientist (2002).
- Ph. D. (2005), Goa University
- M.Phil. (1998), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- M.A. in Sociology (1995), Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
- Recipient of Prof. V. K. R. V. Rao Award in Social Sciences (Sociology), 2014.
- Recipient of the Indian Sociological Society’s (ISS) Prof. M. N. Srinivas Memorial Award for Young Sociologist, 2007.
- Recipient of the Indian Social Science Association’s (ISSA) Prof. Radhakamal Mukerjee Memorial Award for Young Social Scientist, 2002.
- ‘N. Jayaram in Conversation with Manish Thakur’, Explorations: E-Journal of Indian Sociological Society. Vol. 1, No. 1, April 2017, pp. 103-145.
- ‘The Changing Rural-agrarian Dominance: A Conceptual Excursus’ (co-authored with Priyanshu Gupta), Sociological Bulletin, January- April 2017, Vol. 66, No. 1, pp. 42-57.
- ‘Editorial Introduction’ (with Dev Pathak), Journal of Human Values, (Guest-edited the Special Issue on Exploring Values: Interdisciplinary Perspectives), Vol. 22, No. 1, January 2016, pp. 1-6.
- ‘The Politics of Indigenous Social Science: Invoking a Lucknow Sociologist’, Society and Culture in South Asia, Vol. 1. No. 2, July 2015, pp. 109-26.
- ‘Tracking the Political: Trends and Pathways’, Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 63, No. 3, September-December 2014, pp. 442-55.
- ‘Sociological Traditions: Contexts, Claims, Practices’, Contributions to Indian Sociology, Vol. 48, No. 3, September-December 2014, pp. 419-28.
- ‘Democracy, Pluralism and the Religious Minorities: The Muslim Question in India’, Social Change, Vol. 43, No. 4, December 2013, pp. 581-94.
- ‘Radhakamal Mukerjee and the Politics of Disciplinary Erasure: A Preliminary Note’, Eastern Anthropologist, Vol. 66, No.1, January-March, 2013, pp. 33-44.
- “Of ‘Village Studies’ and the ‘Village’: A Disputed Legacy’ , Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 62, No. 1, January-April 2013, 138-51
- ‘Everyday Ethnic Engagements: Malayalee Associations in Goa’, Kerala Sociologist, Vol. 40, No. 2, July-December 2012, pp. 106-118. Also published as a book chapter in D. V. Kumar (ed.). 2014. Modernity and Ethnic Processes in India. Jaipur: Rawat Publications, pp. 127-138.
- ‘Radhakamal Mukerjee and the Quest for an Indian Sociology’, Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 61, No. 1, January-April 2012, pp. 89-108. [Also published in Hindi under the title ‘Radhakamal Mukerjee: Ek Bharatiya Samajshashtra Ki Talash”.in Radhakamal Mukerjee: Chimtan Parampara, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 1-12]. Also published as a book chapter in Ishwar Modi (ed.). 2014. Pioneers of Sociology in India (Readings in Indian Sociology: Volume X). New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- ‘Sociology of Social Movements’ , Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 60, No. 2, May-August 2011, pp. 346-55.
- 'Global Discourses and Local Mobilisations: The Case of “Barh Mukti Abhiyan”', Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 58, No. 2, May-August 2009, pp. 212-28. Also published as a book chapter in D.R.Sahu (ed.). 2012. Sociology of Social Movement (Studies in Indian Sociology). New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- ‘Representing Village: Text and Context of Rural Development Programmes in India’, International Journal of Rural Management, Vol. 3, No. 2, October 2007, pp. 229-43.
- ‘Social Scientists or Development Professionals? Research-Policy Interface in a Rural Development Institute’, Review of Development and Change, Vol. 11, No. 2, July-December 2006, pp. 179-200.
- ‘Ethical Issues in Social Research’, Indian Journal of Social Work, Vol. 67, Nos. 1&2, January-June, 2006, pp. 182-99.
- ‘The Indian Village: Colonial Power, Historiography and Forms of Knowledge’, Summerhill: IIAS Review, Vol. 12, No. 1, June 2006, pp.: 7-16.
- ‘Rural Development versus Rural Management: Towards a Comparative Sociology of Institutions’, Man and Development, Vol. 28, No. 2, June 2006, pp. 69-82.
- ‘State and Village in the Context of Rural Development: A Conceptual Excursus’, Eastern Anthropologist, Vol. 58, Nos. 3 & 4, July-December 2005, pp. 389-400.
- ‘Visions in Conflict: The Village in the Nationalist Discourse’, Social Change, Vol. 35, No. 3, September 2005, pp. 25-42.
- ‘Engendering Social Sciences: A View from Sociology’, Loyola Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 18, No. 2, July-December 2004, pp. 213-24.
- ‘National Institute of Rural Development: A Study of an “Epistemic Community”’, Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 53, No.3, September-December 2004, pp. 347-73.
- ‘Dalit Politics and the Indian State: Changing Landscape, Emerging Agendas’, Social Change, Vol. 34, No. 2, June 2004, pp. 1-15.
- 'Collective Violence, State, and Community: Notes on the Making of Communal Riots in India’, IASSI Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 1, July-September 2003, pp. 112-23.
- ‘Discourse on Rural Development: A Sociological Appraisal’, Journal of Rural Development, Vol. 22, No. 3, July-September 2003, pp. 211-32.
- ‘Sociology and the Challenge of Globalisation: Issues and Concerns’, Loyola Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 17, No.1, January-June 2003, pp. 33-44.
- ‘The Politics of Minority Languages: Some Reflections on the Maithili Language Movement’, Journal of Social and Economic Development, Vol. 4, No. 2, July-December 2002, pp. 199-212.
- ‘How Effective are Pani Panchayats: A Fieldview from Maharashtra’ (co-authored with Binay K. Pattnaik), Sociological Bulletin, Vol. 51, No. 2, March-September 2002, pp. 243-68. Also published as a book chapter in Sukant K Chaudhury (ed.). 2014. Sociology of Environment (Readings in Indian Sociology: Volume VII). New Delhi: Sage Publications.