Willig, Williams & Davidson Partner James S. Beall advises and represents a wide variety of public and private-sector single and multi-employer funds on comprehensive employee benefit and tax matters. He specializes in employee benefits law for the firm’s joint labor-management pension and welfare fund clients, as well as its labor union clients. Jim also represents workers in the longshore, transportation, baking, construction, hospitality and public safety industries.
Jim serves as special counsel to a large international union, advising the union on complex internal benefit matters, and providing representation in national benefit-related negotiations. He also offers counsel on employee benefits matters to clients in the Chicago area. Among other notable achievements on behalf of clients, he negotiated a pension benefit settlement that averted the need for a strike in a major U.S. port, and has prepared and presented numerous pension benefit deadlock arbitrations on behalf of union trustees.
A frequent lecturer, Jim has spoken at employee benefit seminars sponsored by the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans and by Harvard Law School. As a law student at the University of Michigan, he served as a note editor of the Michigan Law Review, publishing two pieces of his own in the publication. Jim completed his undergraduate education at University of Michigan, graduating with high distinction and being named a Harry S. Truman Scholar. He later earned an LL.M. in taxation from Villanova University School of Law.
Jim has been consistently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers of America® in the fields of Labor and Employment Law (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, S.C.) since 2006.
- Villanova University School of Law, LL.M., 1999
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., Cum Laude, 1993
- University of Michigan, B.A., High Distinction, 1990
- Willig, Williams & Davidson, Associate, 1995-2002; Partner, 2003-Present
- Hon. Gerald E. Rosen, U.S. District Judge, Eastern District of Michigan, Law Clerk, 1993-1994
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1997
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 1995
- Supreme Court of Illinois, 1994
- Michigan Supreme Court, 1993
- American Bar Association, 1999-Present
- First Presbyterian Church Council on Community Concern Treasurer, 1999-2001
- Philadelphia Bar Association, 1995-Present
- Martindale Hubbell, Rated AV
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006-Present
- “Book Notice:” Michigan Law Review, University of Michigan Law School, 1993
- “Note: The Charge-Filing Requirement of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act: Accrual and Equitable Modification,” Michigan Law Review, University of Michigan Law School, 1993
- Course Instructor: “Certificate of Achievement in Public Plan Policy: Fiduciary Duties of Pension and Welfare Trustees,” International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, Nationwide, 2006-Present
- “City of San Diego Pension Crisis,” Harvard Law School Labor & Worklife Program, Cambridge, Mass., 2006
Articles & News
- 15 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2019 'Best Lawyers in America'
- August 15, 2018
- Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Speak at IFEBP Certification Program
- June 28, 2018
- 14 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2018 'Best Lawyers in America'
- August 15, 2017
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named Among 2017 'Best Lawyers in America'
- August 15, 2016
- 12 Willig, Williams & Davidson Attorneys Named to 2016 'Best Lawyers in America'
- August 17, 2015
- 10 Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Named to 2015 'Best Lawyers in America'
- August 18, 2014
- Ten Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2014
- August 15, 2013
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2013
- October 3, 2012
- Nine Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2012
- September 13, 2011
- Eight Willig, Williams & Davidson Lawyers Included in U.S. News & World Report Best Lawyers in America 2011
- March 3, 2011
- Highlights on Health Care Reform Legislation
- May 20, 2010
- Form 990-N E-Postcard Due May 17, 2010 For Small Calendar Year Tax-Exempts, Including Labor Unions
- May 12, 2010
- Third Circuit Rejects Employer Attempt to Shift Withdrawal Liability to Teamsters Union
- December 13, 2018
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals Strikes Down Common Employer Bargaining Tactic as Unlawful Under the Pension Protection Act
- May 2, 2018