Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with School of Continuing Studies.Full disclaimer.
About the course
The Health & Wellness Coaching Practicum is designed to help students further their coaching skills outside of the classroom setting. Students acquire and complete a minimum of 30hrs with volunteer clients using learned health coaching techniques. Over the 6 month program, Practicum meets monthly as a small group led by a certified coach serving as Practicum Advisor. During this time, students implement and practice coaching skills, and receive feedback on their effectiveness from fellow students, clients, and faculty. Additionally, students continuously practice self assessment and reflection processes, which are critical for continued growth as coaches.
To pass the Practicum, students are required to submit a client session, documentation of coaching hours, and a self assessment paper. A successful client session demonstrates the student coach meeting the coaching competency guidelines established by the International Consortium for Health & Wellness Coaching (ICHWC).
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Develop their health coaching techniques through observation and interaction with volunteer clients
- Demonstrate effective communication skills when coaching clients
- Apply strong interpersonal skills to client interactions
- Assess client health concerns and goals
- Implement an individualized health coaching approach
- Appraise professional strengths as a health and wellness coach and areas for improvement
- Develop specific health coaching competencies as prescribed by the International Consortium for Health & Wellness Coaching (ICHWC) and the International Coach Federation (ICF)
Trust the experts
Petra Platzer, PhD, PCC, partners with individuals, teams and healthcare organizations to unlock new thinking and create courageous steps forward to achieve their desired healthy outcomes. Petra is a development-oriented coach, facilitator and systems thinker. As a well-published cancer research...
Jen Wood, MA, ACC, combines her skills as a Health & Wellness Coach and Nutritionist with her experience as a Leadership Coach to help women leaders discover the right combination of nutrition, lifestyle and mindset practices so they can show up in life and work as the best version of themsel...