About the course
Immigration law and policies aim to facilitate the entry of foreigners whose presence is desired, and to identify and deter the entry of unwanted foreigners, particularly those who pose security risks. "National security" is generally defined as the protection of the state from external foes; in the migration context, such foes include criminals, terrorists, traffickers, smugglers and other individuals who pose a risk to the residents of the country of destination. This course examines the interconnections between international migration and security, identifying various types of threats and weighing the extent to which they pose security risks. It focuses particularly on assessing the effectiveness of initiatives at the international, regional and national levels to prevent entry of and apprehend, prosecute and deport those who pose security threats, including the use of new technologies.
The course examines both theory and practice in helping participants understand the complexities of balancing security and facilitation as well as the legal issues that arise in protection of the rights of migrants and refugees. The course encourages discussion of pertinent laws, legal cases and policy frameworks that relate to migration and security.
At the completion of the course, a successful student will be able to:
- Recognize the interconnections between international migration and security.
- Assess the effectiveness of international, regional and national initiatives to prevent entry of and apprehend, prosecute and deport those who pose security threats.
- Discuss complexities of balancing security and facilitation.
- Explain legal issues that arise in protection of the rights of migrants and refugees.
- Discuss pertinent laws, legal cases, and policy frameworks.
Read more about Business Communication
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.