XCPD-030 Principles of Management
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with School of Continuing Studies.Full disclaimer.
The emphasis of the course will be on the skills and knowledge needed to successfully manage an organization. This course is especially useful for those newly promoted to supervisory and managerial positions within the private, public, or federal sector. Prior to the first class, participants will receive a syllabus listing the required textbooks and delineating the required readings and case studies. The course will cover the following topics:
- Concepts of strategic and tactical organizational planning
- Organizational design and structure to achieve company objectives
- Goal setting and leadership skills
- Employee motivational approaches
- Conflict management
- Interpersonal communication
- Staffing and supervising processes
- Performance appraisal; group and team management
- Management development and employee training
- Positive employer employee relations
- Management in a global environment
- Employee due process mechanisms in the nonunion firm
- Nonunion complaint and grievance procedures; management ethics
- Concepts of controlling and control systems.
Upon completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe skills needed to successfully manage an organization.
- Apply concepts of strategic and tactical organizational planning.
- Implement employee motivational approaches and conflict management skills.
- Describe common performance appraisal processes.
- Understand group and team management, management development, and employee training.
- Describe principles of management in a global environment.
- Describe concepts of controlling and control systems.