XBUS-503 Data Ingestion and Wrangling
Cleaning and formatting data, also known as “data wrangling,” are the most under appreciated yet time-consuming steps in the data science pipeline. In real world analyses, data wrangling can consume up to 80% of project time. During this course, students will learn and apply the Extract/ Transform/ Load (ETL) process used by professional data scientists to clean and prep data sets for analysis.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
- Understand the time commitment needed for data wrangling
- Identify data sets that may be time-intensive to clean
- Efficiently clean data sets of both structured and unstructured data to prepare for analysis
- Apply the Extract/ Transform/ Load (ETL) process to a data set
- Better estimate the time required for data wrangling tasks
Data Modeling and Dashboards Using Excel Power Tools (Data Modeling)
Develop skills to analyze data and create interactive data visualizations. Excel provides a set of tools that allow you to save time cleaning, formatting and importing data from a variety of sources. These tools also assist in creating and updating standard reports and dashboards to dynamically visualize data.
- Get and Transform tool imports, cleans, formats and combines data from a variety of sources.
- Power Query takes the time and energy out of updating reports.
- Power Pivot allows the user to create data models that make seamless connections between a variety of data sources.
- Power View and Power Map create interactive dashboards that communicate the story of your data.