Who should attend
- Wine enthusiasts
- Restaurateurs and hoteliers
- Wine distributors and retailers
- Professionals who entertain clients
- Aspiring hospitality professionals
- Anyone looking to increase their knowledge of wine
About the course
Interested in expanding your knowledge of wines? Whether you’re an industry professional or simply a wine enthusiast, this hands-on course takes you on a journey through the winemaking process, from grape to glass. Learning from world-renowned industry experts from Cornell, you will learn to successfully identify the components of wine and how they affect perceptions before exploring your personal palate and conducting a sensory evaluation using sight, smell, taste, and touch. You will explore various wine growing techniques and analyze how geography and climate impact the grape. Finally, you will identify the correct service and storage approaches to use based on the type and style of wine.
This program is intended for use by persons of legal drinking ages under the relevant applicable laws where they reside. Students will need to purchase wine, sugar, and other items commonly found in grocery stores to participate in tasting exercises. Please see the complete list below.
Participants who complete this course will be able to...
- Identify the components in wine and how they affect perception of wine
- Conduct overall sensory evaluation of wine using sight, smell, taste, and touch
- Analyze how the winemaking process impacts the final product
- Describe the impact of climate and geography on the growth of grapes
- Identify the correct service and storage approaches to use based on the type and style of wine
Cheryl Stanley is a lecturer in food and beverage management at the Cornell School of Hotel Administration (SHA). She has been involved with food since the age of ten, when she started her own chocolate business, "Cheryl''s Chocolates." Following her interest in food, she attended SHA and graduat...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.