Who should attend
This course is designed for students and retailers who work in visual merchandising or who want to move into this exciting and creative field, and want to improve the visual merchandising and window dressing in their own retail spaces.
About the course
Window dressing and styling is the art of driving retail success by creating displays which engage and excite the customer, and bring them into the store to browse and shop. Understanding visual merchandising theories is the key to creating successful window displays.
In this course you will learn the core principles of window dressing, and the science behind creating inspiration for your customer. You will look at window dressing examples from both high street and designer stores and study the methods of window dressing that they use.
You will develop your designs through the medium of your choice (students in the past have used Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D models and sketching) and receive expert feedback each week on your designs. In weekly online classes you will discuss the importance of window dressing in communicating a brand image, and driving sales.
By the end of the course, you will have built up an impressive portfolio of fashion window designs which can be printed / photographed for display or saved to an online portfolio. You could go on to set up your own window dressing business, get a job as a visual merchandiser or use your portfolio to apply for a degree course.
By the end of the course you will have a better understanding of;
- The key visual merchandising and window display principles
- How to build and create your own window designs
- How to create a strong, recognisable brand image
- How to create a moodboard depicting a customer profile type
- Mannequin dressing and styling
- How to create an instore merchandised wall layout
- How to create your own fashion window display to launch new season for a luxury retailer
- Basic principles of window dressing and visual merchandising
- The job role of a visual merchandiser
- Building and creating your own window designs
- Display theory and window types
- Window dressing trends and how to understand them
- Creating a consistently recognisable brand image within store windows
- Effective use of colour, POS and lighting within window display
- Link selling and hot spots
- Mannequin handling and styling
- Appealing to the right customer
- How is technology carving out the future of window displays?
- Creating interactive experiences within windows
- Promotional calendar
- How to maximise the sales of stock within your window
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
After over 20 years industry experience I feel it's important to pass on my industry knowledge to other aspiring Visual Merchandisers. I have had the pleasure to have worked for London retailers ; Harrods, Selfridges, Harvey Nichols and Marks & Spencer. In 2006 I launched my own consultancy b...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.