Who should attend
This course is targeted at individuals who are interested in developing JAVA Web-based solutions for enterprise environment.
- Preferably have some understanding of how IT solutions can be used in the real world
- Completed the NICF-NUS-ISS Certificate in Digital Solutions Development - Foundations
About the course
The course imparts the techniques and engineering skills needed for the end-to-end design, architecture, implementation, persistence and testing an enterprise web application. In this module, you will learn how to develop system of engagement using Java and JS components. You will also learn how to apply these newly acquired proficiencies by developing full stack web application project using Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) for the Server Side and Java Script for the Client Side Libraries. The course covers a wide range of design concepts, development abilities, and integration skills, from analysing the requirements to implementing a complete solution.
- Understand fundamentals of Object-Oriented Programming in Java SE (Standard edition), including defining classes, invoking methods, using libraries, etc.
- Understand the functional programming paradigms and lambda expressions available in the new Java SE (Standard edition).
- Appreciate engineering issues in the development of an enterprise grade web application, such as design principles, use of appropriate patterns and practices, internationalization, validation, form processing, resource constraints, connection pooling, maintainability, dependability and scalability using Java EE (Enterprise edition) components.
- Understand and implement the application layers, specific customized components, services, user roles and the standard libraries via annotations or APIs.
- Implement a clean server side web application using the ‘Model View Controller’ structure comprising of standard Java EE components such as Servlets, JSP (Java Server Pages), EL (Expression Language), CDI (Container Dependency Injection) and standard tag libraries.
- Augment the above applications to Spring MVC and Spring WebFlux to support both synchronous and asynchronous web application architecture using more sophisticated components such as view templates, responsive web components, server side form handling, spring boot annotations and REST based web services.
- Build an effective and robust persistence layer with JPA repositories, use the popular Hibernate framework, understand Object-Relational mapping for simple as complex object persistence.
- Understand and use the extensive JPA Query language to access data from the above persistence layer. Learn to use the Spring Data extensions to extend persistence to NoSQL data storage.
- Apply design patterns and best practices to improve the robustness and maintainability of applications
- Improve web forms by designing validation of useful interface elements (example date pickers and range sliders) with server side as well as client side components.
- Understand and employ responsive web design patterns and best practices for building user-centric and device sensitive user interfaces
- Leverage client side technologies such as React JS or Angular JS framework to help reorganise device centric codes into reusable modules and view components thereby making the application maintainable
- Use the cascaded style sheet CSS latest features to design better user experience.
Participants will be awarded with NUS-ISS Certificate in Digital Solutions Development - Web Applications at the end of the course.
What Will Be Covered
- JAVA SE (Standard edition) Object and Functional Fundamentals.
- Implement layers, components, services, roles and APIs in Java EE (Enterprise edition).
- Implement persistence architecture using Java Persistence Architecture (JPA).
- Implement Spring Boot framework to structure the application with more sophisticated responsive web, big data and cloud extensions.
- Apply design patterns and best practices to improve the robustness and maintainability of applications.
- Understand and employ responsive web design patterns using cascading style sheet and JS frameworks.
Suria has twenty years of teaching and consulting experience in areas such as software engineering, application architecture, crafting cloud services, agile development and big data engineering. Her research interest spans around cloud computing, software engineering, test automation and big dat...
Prior to joining ISS, Nguyen Tri Tin was the Team Lead, Software Architect of Marshall Cavendish Education leading a team in creating mobile, desktop and web applications at Marshall Cavendish Education. Before joining Marshall Cavendish, he was a Software Developer at Hewlett Packard handling ...
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.