Who should attend
Although there are no formal education or background requirements, this course is designed for participants who meet the criteria below. While we strongly encourage global participation, please note that all courses are taught in English. Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Years of Experience – Participants with all levels of work experience are welcome to attend
- Job Functions – Ideal for any job function
- Prerequisites – Intended for individuals with basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel
About the course
With businesses generating and capturing increasing amounts of data, the ability to interpret and present insights in a persuasive way is more crucial now than ever before. Visualizing Data shows you how to make sense of your data, present clear evidence of your findings, and tell engaging stories all through data graphics.
In this eight week course, students can progress at their own pace through the key steps of data visualization. The hands-on lessons will focus on techniques for data preparation — how to choose, create, and edit graphics, as well as best practices for presenting your visualizations.
- Data Formatting and Analysis for Data Graphics – Use visual data exploration methods that aid in data understanding, learn techniques for data preparation including data formatting and cleaning, and identify the target audience and line of inquiry
- Creation, Refinement, and Presentation of Data Graphics – Identify appropriate data visualization techniques to build data graphics, refine the data graphics to improve clarity, and tell stories with data graphics that will resonate with the audience
- Data Visualization Case Studies and Examples – See how data graphics are used in practice through case studies showcasing a unique approach to using data graphics in different settings
Week 1: Essentials of Visualizing Data
- Introduction to Data Graphics and Design
- Design + Audience
- Live Online Meetup 1
Week 2: Visualizing Comparisons
- Categorical Data, Graphics and Design
- The Report
Week 3: Visualizing Locations
- Geospatial Data, Graphics and Design
- The Dashboard
Week 4: Visualizing Time
- Temporal Data, Graphics and Design
- The Presentation
- Live Online Meetup 2
Kristen Sosulski is a Clinical Associate Professor of Information, Operations and Management Sciences at New York University Stern School of Business. She is also the Director of Education for the W.R. Berkley Innovation Lab. She teaches Data Visualization, Operations in Panama, Ops in NYC, the c...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.